4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tunner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Default Tunner?

What is the best hand held tuner out there? something fairly easy to use and with allot of options. I have more than just one car to tune and I really don't want a chip or to have someone tune my stuff.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

There's not really any custom tune type tools that allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time.
What vehicles are they specifically?
Old 08-14-2013, 03:05 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the SCT 3015
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
There's not really any custom tune type tools that allow you to tune more than one vehicle at a time.
What vehicles are they specifically?
all fords. 1 isa 2002 f150 the other is the mustang and I got a windstar that I would like to get into and change some stuff.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Sniper can handle multiple ford vehicles but you have to buy the "bullets"
Old 08-14-2013, 06:24 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I'm trying to understand this a little better. I may sound stupid but.... lol.... If I buy a SCT 3015 and plug it into my mustang what's it gonna do? Wouldn't it just let me change parameters and save them to the ecu (like fuel and shift points)? Then if I plugged it into my f150 would it do the same thing (let me change parameters and save them to the ecu)?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the5schlueters
I'm trying to understand this a little better. I may sound stupid but.... lol.... If I buy a SCT 3015 and plug it into my mustang what's it gonna do? Wouldn't it just let me change parameters and save them to the ecu (like fuel and shift points)? Then if I plugged it into my f150 would it do the same thing (let me change parameters and save them to the ecu)?
Sorry but no. When the tuner is plugged into mustang, it will pull the vin and factory tune. When this happens, it becomes married to that cars vin. After changes to the parameters are made, the custom tune is installed. To unmarry the tuner, you have to reinstall the factory tune.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Sorry but no. When the tuner is plugged into mustang, it will pull the vin and factory tune. When this happens, it becomes married to that cars vin. After changes to the parameters are made, the custom tune is installed. To unmarry the tuner, you have to reinstall the factory tune.
Ok, now I got it thanks. Thats a bummer that it marries to the vin. is there maybe a way to hack it or a way to upload to a pc and reset it then set it back and forth between vins? Kinda hard to explain typing but I hope you get what I am saying.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

Would be nice to be able to use it on more then one car.

Last edited by the5schlueters; 08-14-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by the5schlueters
Ok, now I got it thanks. Thats a bummer that it marries to the vin. is there maybe a way to hack it or a way to upload to a pc and reset it then set it back and forth between vins? Kinda hard to explain typing but I hope you get what I am saying.
No, the only way to "un-marry" it is to reload the stock tune into car A, and then "marry" it to car B. BTW with most handhelds you can only change vehicles 5 times before the tuner turns into a brick that must be reset by the manufacturer--for a fee of around $150 usually.

The Delta Force Tuning Special Forces package does not have any limitation of how many vehicles can be tuned, or how many times you can change vehicles. However you do need a per vehicle license, called a "bullet" for each car to be tuned. Special Forces comes with two bullets allowing two vehicles to be tuned at the same time, and as stated above you can buy additional bullets. You can also "marry", "un-marry" and "re-marry" as many times as you like.

You can read more about SF here...

Quick Reply: Tunner?