4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What to do, WHAT TO DO!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
The Wasp

Default What to do, WHAT TO DO!

Well I'm on the newer end of learning about cars and have some questions. I have a 1998 Mustang GT and I'm looking to supercharge her adventually. My car is basically stock besides, Steeda pulleys, BBK Cold Air, Cobra Clutch, MSD Ignition upgrade, BBK H Pipe with flowmaster 40's, steeda short throw, 78 MM BBK throttle body with plenum and a Bama tune.
I'm looking to supercharge my car here in the next year and I have about $3k to spend atm. My car has about 120k on it and I'm looking to totally rebuild my car with a forged rotating assembly. I've also priced fully forged blocks with rottating assembly. I know I'm probably going to need to save a bit more money, but right now I'm just looking add colecting everything I need.
I'm not sure what CC dish pistons I need and what what I should even do at this point. I'm not even worried about anything with the supercharger at the moment, just what I need to get set up for it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys! And yes, I know I probably sound like a total car noob, but everyone starts some where.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
The Wasp

Sorry for the misspelling. I'm sort of in a hurry.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 PM
the5schlueters
1st Gear Member

I would say you need to rebuild the car before the motor and what not. Look at the other drive train parts before the motor (trans, rear end, suspension, bushings ect). Then do the power stuff so you don't break things after spending all that money on a wicked motor. The motor always seems to turn into a never ending project. There is always a new part or better things lol.

Last edited by the5schlueters; 08-22-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Get a set of used PI heads and rebuild them with blower cams and quality springs if you plan on going F/I. I assume you will be having someone else assemble the engine so the best advice on the pistons I can give is after you have the heads machined have your engine builder CC them.

Once that's done they can calculate what size piston will give you the right compression ratio for a blower. I also suggest you get the cam info from them as well since the cam specs may change the desired piston dome size and will dictate whether you need valve reliefs in the tops or not.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

First and foremost get read of the 96-98 heads they will rob ya blind even with a blower. For 3k you can easily pick up a completed used supercharger setup, unfortuanly for a built motor and heads your going to need some more coin.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
The Wasp

I heard that the PI heads are worthless and not worth the money. I'm not paying a shop to put my engine together, my ol' ladies dad is a high dollar mechanic and he's willing to help me do the work.
Now obviously I'm going to have to take my engine to a shop and parts to have them, Ported/polished..etc. My rear end is basically new, new springs, and adjustable shocks. I'm also about to buy some Team Z Upper and Lower Control Arms. I'll def have to look at the drive train and stuff.
No is there anyway to change it from a 2v to a 4v or would that require a totally new engine? Does that have something to do with the heads? Like I said, I'm new to all this, lol.
Do you think with a F/I system with around 10 PSI would make 400rwhp? I have to have my throw out bearing replaced, it would probably be a good idea to repalce things in the tranny. How much hp can my tranny handle safely? Or will I need to buy a whole different one or have whats in it upgraded? Thanks again guys for all the help!