4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
cubicinchesaz

Default intake manifold

Hi everyone!
I am new here. I'm on my cellphone. When I get to my laptop I will make a proper introduction.

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang GT 4.6/281 SOHC 2v
The wonderful composite plastic intake manifold broke. Where the giant tube comes out and into the heater core became brittle and just snapped off. I DO NOT want to buy another composite with aluminum runner manifold from dorman for 149 $ and its pointless to get a used unit... its a big job to put one of these on. Yet 899 $ for a nice trick flow unit is not ib my budget. Does any one know of any suggestions for a nice after market piece? Maybe one being sold in any classifieds? Is it even worth getting a nin composit unit? My car only has 88k on her. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

The composite ford racing replacement intake is hands down the best intake for unmodded engines. Dorman intakes are junk btw. They do not flow as well and are molded poorly. If you are hell bent on getting a aluminum manifold, $500+ is what you are looking to spend unless used and then they are still high. You could look for a 2001 bullitt manifold in the classifieds. Also the aluminum Typhoon manifolds will result in lose of power because of there poor castings.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Also the aluminum Typhoon manifolds will result in lose of power because of there poor castings.
Not true at all. I have one on my mustang and gained HP at the wheels. For a disclaimer at the same time I added a throttle body and mass air meter but I gained 20RWHP after installing the pro products piece and the air was way worse than when I made my original pulls.

I'm not saying everyone will have these results. I have the supporting mods to let the engine breath and I spent a few hours porting and polishing the entire thing. But 20 at the wheels is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Not true at all. I have one on my mustang and gained HP at the wheels. For a disclaimer at the same time I added a throttle body and mass air meter but I gained 20RWHP after installing the pro products piece and the air was way worse than when I made my original pulls.

I'm not saying everyone will have these results. I have the supporting mods to let the engine breath and I spent a few hours porting and polishing the entire thing. But 20 at the wheels is nothing to sneeze at.
there was your gain, in the porting. The Typhoons are poor copies of the factory pi manifolds. The Typhoon usually performs as well as the pi manifold until the heat soak sets in. One thing I do like the typhon is the removable plate on the bottom for porting.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Oh yeah, I wouldn't have put it on my car as it came. There are huge casting marks, but you can get the inside just as clean as the factory composite manifold with enough patience. And considering my engine was on it's 3rd intake manifold the full aluminum piece the way to go.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

OP, get a FRPP PI intake and you'll be good for at least another 12 years.

Also replacing the intake manifold is far from being a "big" job, a couple hours tops including draining and refilling the coolant (do not reuse what you drain out)...
Old 08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
cubicinchesaz

Originally Posted by cliffyk

Also replacing the intake manifold is far from being a "big" job, a couple hours tops including draining and refilling the coolant (do not reuse what you drain out)...
Its prob gonna take 4 hours. I also live in a crappy apartment *FML.... and they dont want vehicles being worked on. So i cant do it in one shot.

I found a ford racing intake for 150 $ new in box in classifieds. I'm gonna go look and see how new in box it really is. Whats the dif between a stock gt... a ford racing pi... a bullit n a cobra intake?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by cubicinchesaz
Its prob gonna take 4 hours. I also live in a crappy apartment *FML.... and they dont want vehicles being worked on. So i cant do it in one shot.

I found a ford racing intake for 150 $ new in box in classifieds. I'm gonna go look and see how new in box it really is. Whats the dif between a stock gt... a ford racing pi... a bullit n a cobra intake?
The FRPP PI intake is the same as was stock on the new-edge GTs with the aluminum crossover. The Bullitt intake is aluminum, rear feed and uses twin TBs. It offers no significant performance boost, the '01 Bullitts were rated for just 5 HP more, 265 vs the GTs 260.

The Cobras all had 4V engines with a different intake that will not fit the 2V engine...
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM
02GTSharkin

Originally Posted by cliffyk

I agree, not a big job at all.