4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Permanently locked my door.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:36 PM
leetstyle

Default Permanently locked my door.

So I know a cool way to permanently lock a 96 mustang gt's door.
Wanna know?
There are 3 screws around where the door latch is attached on the actual door, not the lock or handle.
Remove bottom screw, insert most likely longer screw just so it doesnt screw in all the way and is out maybe a 1/6 inch. Now close the door.
Wonderful.
No it won't open from the inside, with a hanger, while your holding the inside door tryin to open it and pullin from the outside.
No it will remain locked.

Because I am stupid.

There was a screw missing from the bottom so i decided "hey I have some left over screws" and it fit and i screwed it in to see if it would fit, then to see if it would shut.
Sure I tried to take off the panel but you can't do anything from there or the outside because it is from the inside of the actual latch, apparently where I inserted the screw.

I sure am dumb.

I am pretty sure my only option is to go in through my passenger side...
Or get a sledge hammer and heavy duty tools and destroy the door and replace it.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by leetstyle
So I know a cool way to permanently lock a 96 mustang gt's door.
Wanna know?
There are 3 screws around where the door latch is attached on the actual door, not the lock or handle.
Remove bottom screw, insert most likely longer screw just so it doesnt screw in all the way and is out maybe a 1/6 inch. Now close the door.
Wonderful.
No it won't open from the inside, with a hanger, while your holding the inside door tryin to open it and pullin from the outside.
No it will remain locked.

Because I am stupid.

There was a screw missing from the bottom so i decided "hey I have some left over screws" and it fit and i screwed it in to see if it would fit, then to see if it would shut.
Sure I tried to take off the panel but you can't do anything from there or the outside because it is from the inside of the actual latch, apparently where I inserted the screw.

I sure am dumb.

I am pretty sure my only option is to go in through my passenger side...
Or get a sledge hammer and heavy duty tools and destroy the door and replace it.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Wow... That sucks. Might be a long shot, but if you take the back drivers interior panel off, you might be able to cut or drill the bolts that hold the latch bar to the body. If not, you could try taking the door panel off and destroying the latch assembly from the inside. Would be tough, but doable I think.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

That sucks!!!! Don't go destroying your door just yet. I suggest that you take your fender off then take the hinges off. You should be able to get the door to slide forward enough then release the latch. Not super easy but will save you from destroying something.

Last edited by Fillerdust; 09-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fillerdust
That sucks!!!! Don't go destroying your door just yet. I suggest that you take your fender off then take the hinges off. You should be able to get the door to slide forward enough then release the latch. Not super easy but will save you from destroying something.
I thought about that too, but there are two fender bolts that you need to have the door open to access. Might be able to break them, but then you will have to fix the fender.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM
leetstyle

Regardless of what I do its gonna be tough. I still havent decided. I know whenever I do it it's gonna be a long day and its so damn hot where I live, desert+summer.
Cut a hole from the inside or outside... Hmm.
Im still hopin that i'll be able to smack it or wiggle it and it magically open though...
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 AM
JJ Glo
1st Gear Member

Awesome, I'll give this a try.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Cheaper solution is keeping the window down, painting a "01" on it and just jump in through the winder.

But on a serious note I was backing up with my door open a few years ago and it got snagged up on a curb and caused the door hinge pins to bend. I closed my door and that was the last time it opened for a few weeks.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Here is what I would do.

1. Laugh......because it is gonna be painful to fix. And costly.
2. Grab a cold one and light up with Mary J. - It's legal now here in CO! - Then think through your expensive fix that your cheap fix caused and come up with a plan.
3. Go to the junk yard and pull a new door because when it is all said and done you are going to need it.
4. Grab another cold one and get to work.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:48 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If I was in this situation, I would remove the drivers seat to give more room. Then I would try to remove or cut apart the inner door panel giving access to the locking mechanism inside. Once you see the door lock inside, then you will be able to see what the problem is. You may be able to get in there with a Dremel and cut it off. Inner door panel is a lot cheaper than replacing a door.