4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03-04 cobra seats - are they a worthwhile upgrade on a 2000 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Default 03-04 cobra seats - are they a worthwhile upgrade on a 2000 GT?

Looking at buying a set of 03-04 Cobra seats in apparently great condition for $700 (front and rear) - but what I really want is good lateral support which my stock 2000 GT seats completely lack.

Will these be a worthwhile upgrade for good support, or am I better off buying some quality Corbeaus?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I am in the same boat as you right now. I have sat in the cobra seats as well as the Corbeau GTS II's and I think that the Corbeaus have more lateral support. I say save up a little more and get some brand new Corbeaus.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

For $700 you can buy the cobras and sell them for $900+ no?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The Terminator seats are good for street driving, but if you really want to be held in place, go with a good aftermarket sport/race seat. Save the weight and get more bolstering. I ditched my Terminator seats after a few months in favor of Corbeaus.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
For $700 you can buy the cobras and sell them for $900+ no?
The guy has had a tough time trying to sell them for $900 for a month now, so he is willing to go $700 to me.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

I just picked up a set of the Corbeau Sport Seats, used but essentially brand new, a guy bought them for his truck but they didn't fit and he wanted to dump them quick so I got a good deal.

These aren't the kind of seats you are looking for but I wanted to let you know about one thing on these seats.

The Corbeau sliders are on the wimpy side, to the point where I'm not so hot on their safety. The mounting points on the sliders are really thin steel without reinforcement and look like in a serious wreck the mounting bolts would rip right thru them, letting the seat go free.

This is especially the case on their standard "single locking" slider that only holds the seat on one side. This means there is only one wimpy mounting point taking most of the force on the seat in a wreck.

So if you go with the Corbeaus, at least pay extra for the "double locking" sliders, at least you'll have 2 of their so-so mounting points trying to hold the seat from flying off.

If you want to be safest, I'd stick with the Cobra's, the mounting sliders on those are reasonably beefy. But if you want to go with Corbeaus and be safe, go with seats that use the side mounting system with no sliders.

I've got a Sparco slider coming tomorrow, I've seen comments that they are much better made than the Corbeau ones and it may be possible to use a Sparco slider with a Corbeau seat, I'll post back here what I find out.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. What about using OEM manual 99-04 seat rails with the corbeau seats - do they look like they can bolt up? I wouldn't mind drilling holes into them and using good hardware to mount the OEM rails to them.

I too was concerned with using aftermarket seat and weak mounting hardware/rails in the event of a crash.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

The Corbeau seats won't bolt directly onto the stock sliders but it looks to me that a pretty simple set of adapter plates can be made, basically just two 1-1/2" wide strips of steel with some offset holes drilled in them.

I'm doing this on my passenger seat, it looks to me like it will work but you never know until you try to bolt it together and put it in the car. I'll post back here if it works well, I'm waiting for metal to arrive and will be working on it in a day or 2.

If the adapter plates work I'll post or send you a copy of the drawings, the plates are very simple and can be made with a hand saw and hand drill if you lay them out carefully and center punch the drill starting points.

This would be way better than using even the double locking Corbeau sliders, the stock slider is pretty beefy and nicely made while my opinion of the Corbeau ones is low. The Corbeau seats are well made though and I'm good with the strength of mounting points on the seats themselves.

There is one other advantage in using the stock sliders, if you are keeping the stock seat belts the belt receiver is bolted to the slider so it would be ready to go, with an aftermarket slider you would have to fab up something to mount the receiver on.

On my drivers side I unfortunately don't have room for a slider. I need to get more headroom so I'm going to mount that seat directly to the floor. So I haven't looked at the location of slider mounting holes on the driver's seat, it could be different because its a power seat, so I don't know if the same adapter plates I'm making for the passenger seat would work on a power drivers seat slider. I'll take a peek at it and see if the seat mounting points are the same as on the passenger side.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalBoy101
There is one other advantage in using the stock sliders, if you are keeping the stock seat belts the belt receiver is bolted to the slider so it would be ready to go, with an aftermarket slider you would have to fab up something to mount the receiver on.
This may not be entirely accurate. I have a Corbeau CR1 and the corbeau mounting bracket. The whole thing seems pretty safe to me and no fab was needed to bolt the seat in. The lower seat belt connection is one bolt, straight forward no fab needed. I really like my seat. Just make sure if you have power seats to unplug everything and then reconnect the seat belt connection so your light works properly. It was tight under my driver seat when I had to pull the wiring out.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM
kingrukus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalBoy101

If the adapter plates work I'll post or send you a copy of the drawings, the plates are very simple and can be made with a hand saw and hand drill if you lay them out carefully and center punch the drill starting points.
Great thanks, I would definitely be interested in the drawings/measurements and look forward to seeing the results.

Quick Reply: 03-04 cobra seats - are they a worthwhile upgrade on a 2000 GT?