4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New (to me) 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM
71_340
1st Gear Member

Default New (to me) 02 GT

Short introduction: After visiting several Mustang forums I joined here because I really like the layout and wealth of information. I've been and am on several forums and I am familiar how things work. Been a certified mechanic for almost 40 years but still like to wrench on my cars. I already got a lot of Mustang specific info here and I am sure I can contribute with a lot of general mechanical knowledge....a car..is a car!

A few days ago I traded a MB E320 for my "new" 02 GT, 5-speed Mustang which needs a little TLC.

First order of business was to replace the heater core, I am almost done with it now and can say that is quite a job and no easy chore. Thanks to the info around here it went pretty smooth. I hate to imagine what that cost at the dealer.

Next I have to fix some noise and vibration coming from the rear. Taking a look underneath I noticed that the rear upper control arm mounting bolts are only half-way in because the nuts are missing. The exhaust system is loose as well (has a Magna Flow system). The differential, rear axle bearings, and u-joints appear to be OK at first look, other then a leaking pinion seal. So I will fix all that and have my rear wheel balanced and will assess from there.

Overall it is a pretty nice car with a lot of potential: 88K miles, Magna Flow exhaust, X-pipe, no cats, 245 & 315 tires, Steeda shifter, Mach 1000, Exterior Paint TK. Judging by the stance I say it has been lowered some.

If there is one thing I don't like it is the Cobra style grille delete......that gotta go! I have stock grille coming.

I know, it's a long post....I just want to say hello, thank you, and glad to have found this forum. I will add some pictures once my car is back together.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Hello from Colorado.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 PM
kongdong
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 71_340
Short introduction: After visiting several Mustang forums I joined here because I really like the layout and wealth of information. I've been and am on several forums and I am familiar how things work. Been a certified mechanic for almost 40 years but still like to wrench on my cars. I already got a lot of Mustang specific info here and I am sure I can contribute with a lot of general mechanical knowledge....a car..is a car!

A few days ago I traded a MB E320 for my "new" 02 GT, 5-speed Mustang which needs a little TLC.

First order of business was to replace the heater core, I am almost done with it now and can say that is quite a job and no easy chore. Thanks to the info around here it went pretty smooth. I hate to imagine what that cost at the dealer.

Next I have to fix some noise and vibration coming from the rear. Taking a look underneath I noticed that the rear upper control arm mounting bolts are only half-way in because the nuts are missing. The exhaust system is loose as well (has a Magna Flow system). The differential, rear axle bearings, and u-joints appear to be OK at first look, other then a leaking pinion seal. So I will fix all that and have my rear wheel balanced and will assess from there.

Overall it is a pretty nice car with a lot of potential: 88K miles, Magna Flow exhaust, X-pipe, no cats, 245 & 315 tires, Steeda shifter, Mach 1000, Exterior Paint TK. Judging by the stance I say it has been lowered some.

If there is one thing I don't like it is the Cobra style grille delete......that gotta go! I have stock grille coming.

I know, it's a long post....I just want to say hello, thank you, and glad to have found this forum. I will add some pictures once my car is back together.
After I sold my 95 E320 Coupe, I got myself an 02 GT as well
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. What part of MO are you from?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 AM
71_340
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Welcome to the forums. What part of MO are you from?
I live right outside Ft. Leonard Wood. Looking at your username....are you in the military?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, congrats and welcome.