4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how to adjust the clutch at the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Default how to adjust the clutch at the firewall

I've owned my car for a few weeks now. The previous owner had put a t45 in it, it was an auto. and he put a firewall adjuster on the firewall. i had read somewhere that if it isn't adjusted just right that it can lead being hard to get into gears. mine is just like that. sometimes it will go in smooth but other times its like there is something stopping it from going into gear. i have missed 2nd and 3rd so many times because of this. and my 5th gear grinds also. i have to let the rpms drop to like 1,000 before i can shift into 5th. i have a steeda tri ax shifter in it, and i don't know if thats the problem of it not going into gear right, or if the clutch needs to be adjusted. and the clutch pedal is a lot higher than the brake pedal, and grabs i would say about an inch or so before the pedal is at resting height.

so if anyone can tell me how to adjust the clutch, or give me some advice on this i would really appreciate it!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

and also, this is a dumb question, but I do not know. does all mustang come with Tremec trannys?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a good grabbing point. Do you still have your plastic clutch quadrent? The fire wall adjuster changes the grabbing point of the clutch, so you can make it grab lower or higher if you wanted to. The grinding might be bad synchronizers I'm not too sure.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Okay, well what are your opinions on short shifters? I know they're supposed to firm up shifts but this is too firm. It's hard to get in gear. I don't know if its the tranny or the shifter. The previous owner had this steeda shifter installed.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Take out the console and take off the shift boot and see if the stoppers are in too far and your not shifting all the way in gear. Just thought of it, always double check some one else's work. Also get under your car and unbolt the cover on the trans were the cable goes through and have some one step on the clutch to make sure it's completely pulling the clutch fork forward to disengage the clutch. If everything looks good it might just be a bad trans :/ I really don't know much about any kind of transmissions. My experience with short throw shifters is that it takes the slop out of stick, you don't feel much of any play while it's in gear and with the return springs it does make the stick feel firmer. I have the tri ax and it's not hard firm, it just took all the slop looseness away.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

okay, I will do that. How far you think the stoppers should be in? should they be hitting the shifter when I put it in gear?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

could be a borg warner before tremec bough em out, the easiest way to see how the clutch is adjusted it to back the adjuster in untill there is no tension, then remove the dust cover at the fork and twist the firewall adjuster out untill just about all the slack is gone out of the cable and go from there. The pedal height has to do with the quadrant, i doubt its the stops on the shifter, if the clutch is in adjustment might just be some beat up synchros.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

If you're in gear they should almost touch the shifter, that's the way I like to do it. They are there so that when you're hard shifting you're not going to far and damaging anything. But I had a problem with my dad's stoppers being too far in and he couldn't shift into 3rd and 5th but it never had any grinding
Old 11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

okay, uberstang, i still don't understand how to adjust it, i know its supposed to be like a dimes width, but i don't know how to pull it, or how to see if theres slack in it, or what not. and also i dont know if this is normal but when im at idle in neutral, i hear a whine coming from the transmission, only heard inside the car, and goes away when i press down on the clutch.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

And I don't know if this is the clutch not fully engaging or the shifter, but the shifter feels very notchy when going through the gears. Like I'm hitting stuff while going into gear.

Quick Reply: how to adjust the clutch at the firewall