4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to this platform need rear suspension help

Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I would remove the quad shocks and inspect all of the control arm bushings. If the factory rubber axle housing bushings (for the UCAs) are still there, they need to be replaced.

I can hook you up at www.uprproducts.com
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I jacked it up this evening and looked things over. The UCA's are aftermarket adjustable units. It looks like they did reuse the factory bushings on the diff. I also greased the LCA's and removed the quad shocks which looked to be the factory originals. I haven't driven it yet but it cant be any worse. Oh! I also discovered that the tops of the rear shocks were not tight at all so i tightened them down. While i was in there i found out that my spare is flat and wasn't bolted down. I vacuumed out all the misc screws and stuff and bolted it down. I have no idea where the jack is supposed to go though.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

I believe the jack goes under the tire/wheel. Take the car for a spin and see if the the sound is still there.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

It seemed quieter on the way to work this morning but its just as bad. And it rattles / clunks over bumps too. Going to take a more indepth look at it over the weekend.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the shocks are worn or damaged. You said they weren't tight at the top mount.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Sorry, I should have specified. They are relatively new Tokico's that whomever installed them never tightened the top nut.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Haven't had a chance to mess with the car...stupid holidays and stuff. LOL.

I did order a set of poly diff bushings which I hope to install this weekend. I figure even if they're not the culprit the new bushings can't hurt.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The adjustable upper control arms do they have a heim join on the end that bolts into the torque box? chances are they do and if they do the noise is normal, spherical ended control arms will make noise. Make sure the pinion angle is way off as well.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

I think they are poly. I will double check tonight, wife is going to visit her parents so I'll be in the garage.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

If the upper control arms are stock, and the bushings on top of the diff are stock then chances are the bushings in the upper control arms are stock rubber too. I’d also make sure that the control arms are torqued down properly with the car at ride height to avoid binding/squeeks. If memory serves, its 85 ft/lbs on all 8 nuts/bolts. I recently replaced all the stock rubber bushings on my wifey’s ’98 which has the same four link suspension your ride has. I made a video of my adventure and put it up on YouTube. Hope it helps…

Last edited by petrock; 12-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to this platform need rear suspension help