4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to this platform need rear suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Got it jacked up last night and started looking things over. Turns out the upper adjustable control arms were loose in almost every possible way. The jam nuts were just flopping around and the bolts connecting them to the body were very loose but atleast a little tighter than finger tight so I tightened all of that up and check all the other suspension related nuts and bolts. Everything is tight. Drove it to work today smiling because the annoying clunk, rattle and bang is gone!

Thank you everyone for your helpful input.

Nice video too Petrock. Very informative.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

if those jam nuts were backed off I gurantee your pinion angle is well beyond "jacked up beyond recognition" def get those arms adjusted properly, hell the two uppers can even be different lengths now, btw were they heim joints?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Got it jacked up last night and started looking things over. Turns out the upper adjustable control arms were loose in almost every possible way. The jam nuts were just flopping around and the bolts connecting them to the body were very loose but atleast a little tighter than finger tight so I tightened all of that up and check all the other suspension related nuts and bolts. Everything is tight. Drove it to work today smiling because the annoying clunk, rattle and bang is gone!

Thank you everyone for your helpful input.

Nice video too Petrock. Very informative.
Excellent! Nice work!

And uber is right, need to check the pinion angle and preload now.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

What is the optimum pinion angle for these cars?

I also discovered the left front too strut nut was loose. This car is starting to really worry me. Lol
Old 12-20-2013, 12:53 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

What is the optimum pinion angle for these cars?
I’m not sure, but if you know the manufacturer of the control arms their web sit may have the info you need.

I also discovered the left front too strut nut was loose. This car is starting to really worry me. Lol
I’d find the previous owner and smack him/her upside the head with a tire iron. Just sayin... With that many loose suspension components, I would give everything a good once over to make sure nothing else is lose.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The pinion angle differs depending what kind of bushings are in the control arm on both ends, need to k ow which ones are rubber, poly, and or spherical heims
Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by petrock
I’d find the previous owner and smack him/her upside the head with a tire iron. Just sayin... With that many loose suspension components, I would give everything a good once over to make sure nothing else is lose.
Considering the guy I bought it off of is a NC State Trooper... I think I'll keep the tire iron in the trunk. LOL.

I'm going to go over the front suspension next week and check everything.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
The pinion angle differs depending what kind of bushings are in the control arm on both ends, need to k ow which ones are rubber, poly, and or spherical heims
Everything is Poly at this point except the Differential bushings which are rubber. I have poly diff bushings coming.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:07 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'd start with -3° to -4° pinion angle.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

So, while changing out my catback I discovered that the differential bushings are already poly. I also took the upper control arms out, cleaned them and regreased them. Then I took a tape to them, one was 1/4" longer than the other. I haven't checked the pinion angle yet because I discovered something else that I'm going to have to change which might affect the angle..

Name:  20131227_123330_zpsbecw1b4f.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  20131227_123337_zpsrpu61tc0.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  53.7 KB

Instead of spending money to buy lowering springs one of the previous owners just took a torch to the stock ones and heated them until one coil collapsed!!!

I haven't checked the front springs yet. I'm just going to order a whole set of springs.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

So, while changing out my catback I discovered that the differential bushings are already poly. I also took the upper control arms out, cleaned them and regreased them. Then I took a tape to them, one was 1/4" longer than the other. I haven't checked the pinion angle yet because I discovered something else that I'm going to have to change which might affect the angle..

Instead of spending money to buy lowering springs one of the previous owners just took a torch to the stock ones and heated them until one coil collapsed!!!

I haven't checked the front springs yet. I'm just going to order a whole set of springs.
Yikes. I haven't seen heated springs in a while.

These UPR/Eibach springs work well:

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-v8.html

Quick Reply: New to this platform need rear suspension help