4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mostly stock Gt

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Mostly stock Gt

Hi all I am new to Mustangs and new to forum. I have recently just bought a mostly stock 2001 GT 4.6 2v. car has five speed, 3.73 gear, BBK CAI, Borla cat back system and thats' pretty much it. since i have owned it about 2 weeks now I have gotten on it fairly hard but smoothly if you know what I mean. go from 1st to 2nd easy then roll on it a little hard in 2nd then ease into 3rd then roll on it again then back out of it and thats about it and I feel like it runs pretty strong. well today I decided to launch the car from dead stop and at the top of first into second It seemed to fall on its face a bit then recover and same from second to 3rd. kinda like bouncing off a rev limiter.any Ideas? other then that car runs perfect. has 43k miles so engine fairly new. I had a 2000 F-150 with same engine. I installed Magna-Flow cat back and a cheap CAI and it was an auto trans and if I laid into it at about 5 grand it kinda did the same thing.please let me know what it might be and how to fix. thanks. if you look in my album you can see BBK setup under hood.[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by GTgeezer; 12-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Hi, try cleaning the MAF Sensor near the Air Cleaner. Make sure to use ONLY a MAF Cleaner, NOT Carb Cleaner. Might help.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:53 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Cleaning MAF

Originally Posted by GTgeezer
Hi all I am new to Mustangs and new to forum. I have recently just bought a mostly stock 2001 GT 4.6 2v. car has five speed, 3.73 gear, BBK CAI, Borla cat back system and thats' pretty much it. since i have owned it about 2 weeks now I have gotten on it fairly hard but smoothly if you know what I mean. go from 1st to 2nd easy then roll on it a little hard in 2nd then ease into 3rd then roll on it again then back out of it and thats about it and I feel like it runs pretty strong. well today I decided to launch the car from dead stop and at the top of first into second It seemed to fall on its face a bit then recover and same from second to 3rd. kinda like bouncing off a rev limiter.any Ideas? other then that car runs perfect. has 43k miles so engine fairly new. I had a 2000 F-150 with same engine. I installed Magna-Flow cat back and a cheap CAI and it was an auto trans and if I laid into it at about 5 grand it kinda did the same thing.please let me know what it might be and how to fix. thanks. if you look in my album you can see BBK setup under hood.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default MAF

Originally Posted by 03gt04mach1
Hi, try cleaning the MAF Sensor near the Air Cleaner. Make sure to use ONLY a MAF Cleaner, NOT Carb Cleaner. Might help.
I posted another pick. isnt it the MAF? thanks I have the cleaner I needed it for my other car.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I posted another pick. isnt it the MAF? thanks I have the cleaner I needed it for my other car.
Yeah, thats the MAF. These motors tend to fall on their face around 5200rpm, are you sure that it's not just hitting peak power? If not, my money is on a coil. Generally when a coil is going bad, it will have jerky acceleration.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default MAF

Originally Posted by JC316
Yeah, thats the MAF. These motors tend to fall on their face around 5200rpm, are you sure that it's not just hitting peak power? If not, my money is on a coil. Generally when a coil is going bad, it will have jerky acceleration.
well I have experienced a bad coil multiple times in the F150 I had and not the same at all. maybe just power peak. runs way too good to be coil. its almost as if my foot slipped off the gas pedal. if that makes sense. do these cars have a rev limiter from the factory? I bought the car the way it is and not sure if prev. owner did a tune for exhaust or cai. he bought it as complete stock with 41k miles in 08 and did all mods body and engine himself and in 5 years only put 2k miles on it and pretty much kept in garage and took to car shows. is a tune required for CAI? or exhaust? I would think not for exhaust. I may want to do future mods but not until I remedy this. keep in mind if I just go through gears and roll in hard it is very strong and runs great. will break loose tires in 2 and 3rd from a roll. and I got 315/45's on it. I am very impressed with stock power. thanks for your input
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

well I have experienced a bad coil multiple times in the F150 I had and not the same at all. maybe just power peak. runs way too good to be coil. its almost as if my foot slipped off the gas pedal. if that makes sense. do these cars have a rev limiter from the factory? I bought the car the way it is and not sure if prev. owner did a tune for exhaust or cai. he bought it as complete stock with 41k miles in 08 and did all mods body and engine himself and in 5 years only put 2k miles on it and pretty much kept in garage and took to car shows. is a tune required for CAI? or exhaust? I would think not for exhaust. I may want to do future mods but not until I remedy this. keep in mind if I just go through gears and roll in hard it is very strong and runs great. will break loose tires in 2 and 3rd from a roll. and I got 315/45's on it. I am very impressed with stock power. thanks for your input
Yeah, the stock fuel cutoff is 6K RPM. I bounced off from it plenty of times with my 4V swap GT. There is a pretty good drop off on power when it hits the peak. Since your F150 did the same, it's likely just the peak.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Kinda sounds like you need to adjust the guydrivingthecar.

I've done it before after putting the new clutch in. If your timing is off you can bog it down in between shifts.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Kinda sounds like you need to adjust the guydrivingthecar.

I've done it before after putting the new clutch in. If your timing is off you can bog it down in between shifts.
I appreciate your input. I completely understand your point if my issue was being a little boggy during shifts. but not sure you understand or maybe I described the issue wrong. it does not fall on its face immediately after shift. it is happening at top of gear. like as I hit about 5500 rpm in the gear I'm in not after the shift. however it has been a long time since I have had a 5 speed but doubt its my shifting that is making car bog at top end of gear. [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if a tune is required after a cai install? not sure if previous owner did one. thenks

Quick Reply: Mostly stock Gt