4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

timing cover oil leak w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:04 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Default timing cover oil leak w/pics

I was under my car today searching around for a creek noise when steering when I noticed that I had oil on my oil filter. so I searched more and found what it looked like the timing chain cover is leaking oil. I can't tell if its leaking from the timing cover or a head gasket. Maybe one of you guys could help me. I have roughly around 170k on the car, not really sure due to the speedo being way off, and the motor is bone stock besides cai.

and is there a replacement gasket? I have searched and can't find anything.

How hard is it to do this job?

thanks

Old 12-12-2013, 04:08 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

ok, well I take one part back, I just found a gasket set.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Doing the front cover is a job but it isn't hard technically just labor intensive. Gotta remove both valve covers (so replace those gaskets while you're there) and everything on the front of the engine. But all you really need is an 8,10, and 13mm.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:06 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

okay, what seals/gaskets should I replace while the timing cover is off? while im in there might as well freshing things up.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

i found valve cover gaskets from autozone. the exact ones from late model restoration, but they don't include grommets for the bolts.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Okay, done some more research and it seems pretty straight foward I hope. Now my only concern is how to get the harmonic balancer off. I have never messed with one of these, and is there a certain tool or special way to get it back on?

and can someone give me the torque specs for valve covers, timing covers, any pulleys i need to take off and harmonic balancer
Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Make sure you get the right valve cover gaskets, Ford made about a quarter million different designs in the decade or so of the 2v. You should replace the valve covers as mentioned, the front cover gaskets, and the front crankshaft seal to be all inclusive.

Don't forget a dab of grey RTV sealant in the in the corners of the oil pan and back on top where the cover meets the block when you re-install the valve covers. You will need a tool to get the balancer off. To get it back on you will either need a longer bolt, a thinner washer, or the tool.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Okay. The timing cover gasket comes in 3 pieces and a seal. I'm guessing that's the seal you're talking about. So do I put rtv where the gaskets meet on the timing cover since its a 3 piece?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

None of those seals actually meet anywhere, one is for the right side, one the left, and one for the middle. There is probably some sealant in the places you need to replace it in already.

But like I said, corners on the oil pan and on top where the cover meets the block when re-installing the valve covers.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

oh okay. makes sense cause these gaskets arent big enough to cover the whole timing cover. well what seals the rest of it if these gaskets dont even go all the way around the cover?

Quick Reply: timing cover oil leak w/pics