4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Long tubes

Has anybody installed these on a 4.6? 99-04. I know I have the ability but i understand lifting engine or dropping K is involved. if lifting engine how much? many things need also removing? rad hoses, wiring? and was it worth the effort? thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 AM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

I had them on my '96 GT. I don't remember many details because it was so long ago, but it was such a pain in the ***. I do remember having trouble with steering components and I used the lifting the motor method. I did not have to drop the K member.

As far as it being worth the trouble I have to ask "What is your goal?" If it's along the lines of getting every bit possible out of bolt-on horsepower, I'd say definitely go for it, but not before exploring other power adding options first such as nitrous or boost.

I don't have long tubes on my Mach 1 because I'm satisfied with what power it produces with the easy bolt-ons and a tune. The 2V engines however, need everything you can throw at them if you're keeping it naturally aspirated, in fact you'll have to get into the heads for that.

If you're looking for "easy" bolt-on gains it's not worth it. It's a pretty intense process, (compared to installing an h/x-pipe and cat-back) and you will definitely need a tune because LTs dramatically change the way exhaust leaves the motor.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by TXMach
I had them on my '96 GT. I don't remember many details because it was so long ago, but it was such a pain in the ***. I do remember having trouble with steering components and I used the lifting the motor method. I did not have to drop the K member.

As far as it being worth the trouble I have to ask "What is your goal?" If it's along the lines of getting every bit possible out of bolt-on horsepower, I'd say definitely go for it, but not before exploring other power adding options first such as nitrous or boost.

I don't have long tubes on my Mach 1 because I'm satisfied with what power it produces with the easy bolt-ons and a tune. The 2V engines however, need everything you can throw at them if you're keeping it naturally aspirated, in fact you'll have to get into the heads for that.

If you're looking for "easy" bolt-on gains it's not worth it. It's a pretty intense process, (compared to installing an h/x-pipe and cat-back) and you will definitely need a tune because LTs dramatically change the way exhaust leaves the motor.
Thanks for the insight. not sure right now of my future plans. it is a daily driver and I am pretty happy with performance but I did just get it and expect to maybe want more later. I do however have Borla cat bac. and 3.73 gears so right now a lot of fun to drive. your thoughts on the custom tuned 3 tune chip from AM? as opposed to a tuner? seems like easy gains.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Long tubes are the only bolt on that will net ya any gains really, dropping the k member is the fastest and easiest way to do it, ive done it dozens of times.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:20 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Long tubes are the only bolt on that will net ya any gains really, dropping the k member is the fastest and easiest way to do it, ive done it dozens of times.
This is true. LTs will show significantly bigger gains than any other bolt-on mod.

As for the tunes from AM/Bama, I can vouch that they are great for a car that is lightly modded. Once you get into upgrading the engine itself like heads, cams, and internals, you'd need a much more intensive tune.

The advantage of a tuner over a chip is that it's much easier to use. If you get the chip, you'll save a few bucks, but you have to pull out some of the plastics in the interior to get to your computer and then plug the chip into it. I don't know much about the process or loading the tunes from a chip so I'll just stop right there, but I do know that using a tuner is really easy.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:57 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Thanks Lt's may be in my future
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Thanks