4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.10s!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Question 4.10s!

So I finished the PI swap and found that it wasn't very difficult...just occasionally very frustrating. getting the power steering pump on with the seemingly 3' long bolt that you have to turn 1/6 turn at a time.(assuming one doesn't wish to disconnect the fluid line)

or the getting that infernal fitting into the heater return line.

Otherwise my mechanical abilities were more than a match for that particular job.

My old man got me a set of ford racing 4.10s for xmas and i just ordered the installation/bearing kit from americanmuscle.com.

My question is thus:

relatively speaking how much harder or easier is it to change rear gears? keep in mind that i am able to remove the axle completely from the car and work on it on a bench.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 PM
302_Mustang
1st Gear Member

As long as you set the blacklash and pinion depth correctly you should be fine. Rea around check up the several write ups on how to do it, it's easier if you reuse your shims on the pinion gear and whenever you pull the diff just make sure to keep track of the shims on each side.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

installing gears is straight forward as long as its shimmed and set up properly
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I'm thinking about putting 3:73's in, from everything i have read or heard, if you are using Ford Racing Gears and your current set up is OEM Ford you can basically use the same pinion and diff shims. The secret if it is one is not over tightening the pinion nut and matching in/lb force it takes to rotate the pinion. Not that i,m plugging Late Model Restorations, i have never bought anything from them, but i,m planning to, they have a complete kit for $255.00 which i thought was reasonable. They also have a how to video and installation instruction in PDF. it has been more than a few years since i have done one but after researching I've convinced myself i can do it. FYI it can be difficult to get the differential out of the axle housing as well as back in, it's a much tighter fit that you might think.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

replacing rear axle gears can be a disaster if you do it wrong, and it can be hard to remove the old ones. When I had some 4.10's put in my 2002 GT, my mechanic said the old gears were trashed and he had to use a torch and beat the hell out of them to get them out. So, it's not really a job for the beginner.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WJL
I'm thinking about putting 3:73's in, from everything i have read or heard, if you are using Ford Racing Gears and your current set up is OEM Ford you can basically use the same pinion and diff shims. The secret if it is one is not over tightening the pinion nut and matching in/lb force it takes to rotate the pinion. Not that i,m plugging Late Model Restorations, i have never bought anything from them, but i,m planning to, they have a complete kit for $255.00 which i thought was reasonable. They also have a how to video and installation instruction in PDF. it has been more than a few years since i have done one but after researching I've convinced myself i can do it. FYI it can be difficult to get the differential out of the axle housing as well as back in, it's a much tighter fit that you might think.
If you're looking for gears, I got a set of new Ford Racing 4.10's with shims and stuff, for $125 off ebay about a year ago, plus about $10 shipping. The seller had plenty available.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I would agree some can be difficult, but not impossible. I did look on ebay, for $255.00 including gear oil, friction modifier, all bearings, shims ring & pinion, gaskets, nuts and bolts, plus a company with support and a return policy i think i'm going to stick with the late Model Restoration Kit. thanks anyhow
Old 12-28-2013, 12:14 AM
gmb96gt

Originally Posted by tracyballard
my mechanic said
No disrespect, but come on man

If you follow directions you can do anything.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:41 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmb96gt
No disrespect, but come on man

If you follow directions you can do anything.
yes, you can, but sometimes you learn how not to do things the hard way, and messing up my rear end just to save a little money is not what I want to do. I used to be a professional mechanic. Now I pick and choose what I want to do, and what I want to pay someone else to do. You have to decide how much time and effort you want to invest to save a few bucks on some jobs.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I use to say that all the time "i can fix anything as long as i had a good manual" however i have to somewhat agree with TB, i don't do it everyday anymore, but enjoy a challenge. I pick and choose what i want to do and i have done more than a few Jeep Axles over the years so i think i can pull this one off, however i will wait for better weather a little cold on the garage floor

Quick Reply: 4.10s!