4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

01-04 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 01-04 Mustang GT

Are these year Mustang's pretty quick with bolt on's?

I have been cruising Craigslists and seen some for cheap ($4-6k) and in good condition. Considering a summer only cruiser car. Just something to look good in, custom tune, exhaust, sound system etc. not so much a racer but still want some speed to it.

Won't do a whole lot to it. Maybe some 3.73's, torque converter, driveshaft sort of deal.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 AM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

The biggest power difference might be full exhaust, and gears. I have 3.73 in my 99 GT, and I love it. It's all the power I need for a daily driver.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds good to me

If I am lucky I can find a good manual trans, but I don't mind an auto either. I might want to go as high as 4.10s for the manual and 3.73's for the auto. I know the 01-04's generally don't come with a lot of power stock but the torque is decent and it's a very light car (3200-3300 lbs.) then what I have been used to for the past three years (4289-4576lbs.!)

A 14 second car that's fun to drive is worth driving for enjoyment than a nearly 5000lb. tank that runs low 13's, but is boring lol
Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I ran 13.90 @ 99 in my stock 99 GT 5-speed way back in the day. These cars can run 12s on good suspension (UPR) and sticky tires. They have a ton of potential.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I ran 13.90 @ 99 in my stock 99 GT 5-speed way back in the day. These cars can run 12s on good suspension (UPR) and sticky tires. They have a ton of potential.
Damn, you must have been driving like a bat out of hell. Stealth, are you ever gonna make up your kind lol. These GTs sound great with a nice set up. Just don't expect to kill it from a roll if you do those mods. But damn, I have a lot of fun in my B.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
tangystang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Sounds good to me

If I am lucky I can find a good manual trans, but I don't mind an auto either. I might want to go as high as 4.10s for the manual and 3.73's for the auto. I know the 01-04's generally don't come with a lot of power stock but the torque is decent and it's a very light car (3200-3300 lbs.) then what I have been used to for the past three years (4289-4576lbs.!)

A 14 second car that's fun to drive is worth driving for enjoyment than a nearly 5000lb. tank that runs low 13's, but is boring lol
Yeah I hear ya. I've never been to track with my car, but I don't care what it runs, its just fun as heck to drive on the street! Blow a few doors off!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Cbird

I have a pretty much stock GT and I think it's faster than hell for me. I was out dicking around with my friend last night since this is one of the few days the roads have been clear in forever.

Anyway I was rolling along in 1st gear, got up to about 2.5k rpms and then gunned it. Sideways though first, second, chirped third, and then giggled the whole way to the club with my buddy.

Buying this car was the best thing I ever did. I learned how to drive a manual with this car too, I especially like that. I also like that "glued to the seat" feeling you get when you downshift and floor it, assuming you hook up. With my 4:10s it's kinda hit and miss with street tires.

I means there's always cars that would be faster than mine, but isn't that the case no matter what you drive?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
Damn, you must have been driving like a bat out of hell. Stealth, are you ever gonna make up your kind lol. These GTs sound great with a nice set up. Just don't expect to kill it from a roll if you do those mods. But damn, I have a lot of fun in my B.
I am most likely gonna pay off the Charger and get a summer cruiser only.

The RT can run low 13's tuned and 13's flat with a converter, so that's my fast fat car lol

I want something fun to drive and cruise in and I miss the hell out of driving a stick shift! Funny how a 14 second loud stick car feels like a 12 second car!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cbird
I have a pretty much stock GT and I think it's faster than hell for me. I was out dicking around with my friend last night since this is one of the few days the roads have been clear in forever.

Anyway I was rolling along in 1st gear, got up to about 2.5k rpms and then gunned it. Sideways though first, second, chirped third, and then giggled the whole way to the club with my buddy.

Buying this car was the best thing I ever did. I learned how to drive a manual with this car too, I especially like that. I also like that "glued to the seat" feeling you get when you downshift and floor it, assuming you hook up. With my 4:10s it's kinda hit and miss with street tires.

I means there's always cars that would be faster than mine, but isn't that the case no matter what you drive?
lol the only reason I don't want a manual trans in my daily driver.. I'd have too much fun in it and end up getting in trouble!

I test drove a 2008 Mustang GT Bullitt this last summer, manual trans, 3.73 gears and 6500 rpm rev limit and it was the most fun I had in a long time. I was very close to buying it but did not...
Old 12-30-2013, 01:39 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tangystang
Yeah I hear ya. I've never been to track with my car, but I don't care what it runs, its just fun as heck to drive on the street! Blow a few doors off!
Ditto.. plus on the street, most races don't even last a full 1/4 mile and most people aren't seasoned drag racers either lol

Quick Reply: 01-04 Mustang GT