4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

replacing rear upper control arms and bushings 02 stang gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM
ErinCat

Default replacing rear upper control arms and bushings 02 stang gt

I have a 2002 mustang gt auto. The rear upper control arms and bushings for axle housing have to be replaced. I ordered steel Steeda control arms. I need any advice or step by step instructions on how to replace these. Is it hard to do? Torque specs? What tools I need? Etc. As much information as possible would be greatly appreciated.
I also have to replace the rear shocks as well. Should I do that at the same time? And any info on replacing those as well would be great. Thank you .
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

It's not that hard to replace them. Jack up your car from the diff, but put jack stands under the frame, keep the jack under the diff. Take off your wheels for room. Undo the 2 bolts on the control arm. Lower your jack until the control arms slacks and falls. Put new arms in, jack up diff until bolts line up. When you tighten the control arm bolts, the suspension must be loaded!! Meaning put the jack stands under the axle at this point and tighten them. Sorry I dunno specs for torque. I would do the shocks at the same time. Hardest part on the shocks is taking the trunk trim out lol so not very hard.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

You should definitely do bushings and control arms at the same time. Get yourself a decent torch for taking out the bushings and it will make your life so much easier. Before you start the job put the new ones in the freezer as well, this will shrink them just enough to make it easier to install.

When removing the bushings heat the center metal sleeve until rubber starts to peel out from around it, you will know it when you see it. Then put a punch or pry bar up there and give it a few good whacks with a hammer and it should pop right out. Repeat this process to remove the bushing itself. It will probably catch on fire, don't worry about it just blow it out. After you get it out, run a little sandpaper around the inside of the housing to smooth it back out.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

Versus the torch route, which I hear is easy, I drilled lots of 3/8" holes in the rubber bushing to make it easier to remove them.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 AM
ErinCat

Originally Posted by Stevo86
You should definitely do bushings and control arms at the same time. Get yourself a decent torch for taking out the bushings and it will make your life so much easier. Before you start the job put the new ones in the freezer as well, this will shrink them just enough to make it easier to install.

When removing the bushings heat the center metal sleeve until rubber starts to peel out from around it, you will know it when you see it. Then put a punch or pry bar up there and give it a few good whacks with a hammer and it should pop right out. Repeat this process to remove the bushing itself. It will probably catch on fire, don't worry about it just blow it out. After you get it out, run a little sandpaper around the inside of the housing to smooth it back out.
I got out one control arm... struggled with the bushing. Finally got it out. Put the new one in... The weird part it how the new control arms came with the new bushing for the axle housing (looks just like the old o e) but came with a second part to it that is also rubber. It goes over the axle housing... and it makes it impossible to set the new control arm in place. I am also having a hell of a time trying to line up the holes to bolt it back in. I'm going insane... The part is Steeda upper control arms 555-4095. Cannot figure this out for the life of me.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Use a jack on the pumpkin to manipulate the rear end and twist it in the proper direction. Then a little bit of pry bar action will probably be in order. After you get her good and close put the bolt in as best as you can and use the pry bar some more to get it just right. Don't be afraid to give it a little tap with the hammer to get the bolt to slide in. That thing is seriously hard steel. You would have to really wail on it to mess it up.

A few notes, do not tighten anything all the way until all the new parts have bolts in them. That much torque can twist the pieces so that all the prying in the world won't line it up right. Also be mindful of where the end of your pry bar is. That is to say don't be the guy who prys against brake lines, fuel tanks, or the bare floor pan of your car.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
ErinCat

Originally Posted by Stevo86
Use a jack on the pumpkin to manipulate the rear end and twist it in the proper direction. Then a little bit of pry bar action will probably be in order. After you get her good and close put the bolt in as best as you can and use the pry bar some more to get it just right. Don't be afraid to give it a little tap with the hammer to get the bolt to slide in. That thing is seriously hard steel. You would have to really wail on it to mess it up.

A few notes, do not tighten anything all the way until all the new parts have bolts in them. That much torque can twist the pieces so that all the prying in the world won't line it up right. Also be mindful of where the end of your pry bar is. That is to say don't be the guy who prys against brake lines, fuel tanks, or the bare floor pan of your car.
Thanks so much. Finally got it in. Used a cow bar... took a while. But I got it.. onto the next one.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Yeah man, glad you're getting it done. I'm sure you will be pleased with the new traction.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 PM
TheDarkKnight
1st Gear Member

I did uppers and lowers on mine, wasn't too bad. But I pulled the axle out from under the car because I had to do axle seals and bearings so it was just easier. I wanted to check the gear pattern as well. But I can tell you beyond a doubt the best way to replace the upper axle bushings is to pony up $38 for the Maximum Motorsports bushing tool at Latemodelrestoration. I ordered the bushing kit from them as well. I have never changed a bushing so easy and simple... They claim it is easy to use even with the axle under the car.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
71_340
1st Gear Member

+1 on the tool!

I have the bushing replacement on the schedule for this spring. I will buy the tool at that time. Besides making the removal and installation easier the tool will also install the new bushings at the correct depth.