4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine swap or Supercharger????

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
jbiloff

Default Engine swap or Supercharger????

I have a 2000 GT convertible 5spd, I don't race it, its my driver during the summer. I don't race it, I just want some more power. It sounds faster than it is. Should I just add a supercharger or swap out the engine? The current engine has 104k on it and runs fantastic. It has the normal mods, exhaust, tbi, and suspension. I put a new clutch in at the end of last summer.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

No matter what motor you get you'll never have the power of a supercharger. And swapping a new motor will be around the same price of a supercharger. You have low miles man, just get a supercharger and be happy with another 100hp. When your tired of that ump it up with a pulley and better intercooler and hit the 400hp mark.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 AM
CobraClone_WV

Supercharger without a doubt man. If you do a motor swap on a motor with very little or no miles on it, it's obviously going to have more life left in it providing that it has been taken care of. However, like he said you'll never get the same power. A supercharger is the way to go and you will not be disappointed!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
jbiloff

Originally Posted by Thatsweetstang
No matter what motor you get you'll never have the power of a supercharger. And swapping a new motor will be around the same price of a supercharger. You have low miles man, just get a supercharger and be happy with another 100hp. When your tired of that ump it up with a pulley and better intercooler and hit the 400hp mark.
That's what I was thinking. Super it and if blows, go bigger.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
jbiloff

I leaning towards a whipple style vs a procharger style. Is one better than the other or just preference?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:49 AM
01 Trueblue

Originally Posted by jbiloff
I leaning towards a whipple style vs a procharger style. Is one better than the other or just preference?
Im a roots fan. The whipple's and Kenne Bell is the way to go, in my opinion. They make boost from just 0. The procharger can make the horsepower and is a more inexpensive set up.

KB or Whippl, youre looking at about 5-6k in parts, Plus labor. I think Prochargers can be found for about half that. I believe.

Im in the same boat as you with how I want to handle it. I keep thinking go 4v and keep it NA but another part of me says screw it just go FI and.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

It all depends on how much hp is your goal. I will happy with around 350rwhp - 380rwhp. I believe I can do that with a pi motor and a vortec v2. If you want into the 400 hp range, same thing lol, smaller pulley better intercooler with pi motor. Even more power cam it with blower cams and that'll push you to the end of you stock internals, btw cams for a pi motor are cheap compared to a 4v. All depends on how much hp you want
Old 01-25-2014, 12:43 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Match the blower to fit your needs. The roots or twin screw (positive displacement blowers) will give you a flat tq line which makes for great power down low in the RPM range - where you will use it most on the street.
Centri tend to make the power up higher in the RPM range.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
jbiloff

I can get my hands a low mile, newly reman v2. He is selling it with a P51 intake and rails. I would just need to some misc things, i.e. injectors, fuel pump, etc. I really don't want the intake, but he selling together.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Well, if it's cheap enough you can sell the intake and rails. I know there is a guide on how to build a vortec kit for 1500 dollars around the forums. If it's the route you wanna go then go for it, don't make spur of the moment impulse buys when you don't know what your goals are yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap or Supercharger????