4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Correct procedure for steering rack/outer tie rod replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default Correct procedure for steering rack/outer tie rod replacement?

I've finally got my parts together to replace my steering rack that's leaking fluid from one of the boots, and I want to see if I can get some feedback on my planned order of operations. I've never done this job on any car before, so I want to glean knowledge from those who have learned the hard way.

First, I figure that since I'm replacing the outer tie rods and the rack, I should start with breaking the tie rods loose from the wheels, then removing the rack and and tie rods all together as one piece, then when it's on the ground remove the fluid lines from the rack. Then I guess I would replace the old tie rods with the new ones, being sure to count the threads and get them in the same place on the new rack as the old ones on the old rack. Then I would hook up the lines while the rack is still on the ground. Next, bolt up the new rack, then attach the tie rods. Does that sound good?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I took the fluid lines off before taking the rack off. Other than that, I did it the same way. The only problem I would see with your way is since you're going to have to have the front jacked up to get under, will the fluid lines be long enough to set the rack on the ground before removing them? I honestly can't remember how long they were. I just took them off first and it didn't pose any problems.

I will say that "unmounting" (probably could be a better verb choice there) the tie rods can be harder than you would think. Nothing a bfh couldn't take care of though!

Also, when its all said and done, don't forget to "prime" the system. Good luck! Its not too bad of a job.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

the lines are steel so you have to remove them for the rack to drop. it's only 2 lines, dont get confused with the other lines that are part of the rack itself. compare it to you new one and you'll see only two lines have to come off. i drained the reservoir first and when i removed the lines i barely got any fluid leak out. it's a pretty straight forward install, doesn't get much easier than our cars.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

and you might as well replace the bushings too.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

What I do is: undo the outer tie rods from steering knuckle, remove outer tie rod from inner. Lock the steering wheel by removing the key and turning the wheel. Look from the back of the car through the sub frame at the back of the steering shaft, you can see the 1 bolt that connects the steering shaft to the rack and pinion, undo that bolt. Then undo the two rack and pinion bolts, pull the rack down, it can hang a lot so don't worry about it stretching the lines. Doing this makes taking off the lines a piece of cake, it's fudging hard to undo the lines first. After that take off the lines and the nylon pressure o-rings. When you put the new nylon o-rings on what helps a lot is to soak them in very hot water. Then reverse the uninstall procedure to re-install. Also while you are in there replace your bushings to poly and at the same time replace the outer tie rods. Best way I can think of on how to do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

well, I guess I figured out everything except the part where there's a bolt holding the steering shaft to the rack. well, now that I have, anyone happen to know the size before I go back out there?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Umm, 10,12, or 13? Just follow the steering shaft, it's like 4 inches above where it meets the rack and pinion. You can usually see it from the back side of where the rack is mounted.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

It was 13mm.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:12 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Problem encountered.....that dang steering shaft is a really bitcherooni to get back on the rack. I worked on it till it got too cold for me and gave up for the night. If anyone has any tips I would be glad to peruse them!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Put some lube on it and work the shaft ;D.

Quick Reply: Correct procedure for steering rack/outer tie rod replacement?