4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

400RWHP Build?

Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TXMach
Why 400whp? Why stock internals? What's your goal exactly?

I think you're on the right track to get max power, but it won't be 400whp. However, if it's bragging rights you're after, I think you'll get them with being able to say you make X amount of HP with only a 4.6L SOHC NA. If you build the top end as described, all bolt-ons, long tubes, x-pipe, and a really solid A/F map. I'm guessing 320-340whp.
I agree with the HP estimation but would also like to add that it's gonna cost tons of money.

BTW has anyone ever heard of a 2V hitting the 400 rwhp mark with just bolt on's?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Aaron Bridges
1st Gear Member

Well Let me rephrase Id Like to keep the Stock 4.6 Short block No Bore no stroke Forged Internals would be a must I gues in my head Id like to get as Much N/A Hp as possible before Throwing on an S/C from all that ive looked up a Trick Flow top End is putting down 330-350rwhp depending on tunes, the great thing about these heads is the PTV Clearance is greater so you can add bigger cams. So my guess was a set of really aggressive cams 5-10hp extra LT'S 15-20 HP Full exhaust Underdrive pullies get back a few hp due to parasitic drag . Im talking about squeezing every last Pony out haha. I guess in my mind Ive always wanted to pull up in a dyno war and put down some insane number and the guy look under the hood and it looks like a basic bolt on 2v and give me the WTF look haha. just think with that kind of Built 2V Forged bottom end add a novi supercharger on 11lbs were talking some serious numbers well of course with the supporting fuel system. but as stated this is just a discussion about a possible 2v build Im sure wed all be impressed if someone actually was able to pull that kind of power out of a stock 2v. I believe its possible I believe the parts are out there Yes it would be expensive but I think who ever was to do It would have about the most popular 2v in the country. I guess im the only one that's thought about it haha. I appreciate the info and everyones opinions. maybe one day a build like this will show up in MM&FF or something of that sort.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM
borii

Originally Posted by Aaron Bridges
Well Let me rephrase Id Like to keep the Stock 4.6 Short block No Bore no stroke Forged Internals would be a must I gues in my head Id like to get as Much N/A Hp as possible before Throwing on an S/C from all that ive looked up a Trick Flow top End is putting down 330-350rwhp depending on tunes, the great thing about these heads is the PTV Clearance is greater so you can add bigger cams. So my guess was a set of really aggressive cams 5-10hp extra LT'S 15-20 HP Full exhaust Underdrive pullies get back a few hp due to parasitic drag . Im talking about squeezing every last Pony out haha. I guess in my mind Ive always wanted to pull up in a dyno war and put down some insane number and the guy look under the hood and it looks like a basic bolt on 2v and give me the WTF look haha. just think with that kind of Built 2V Forged bottom end add a novi supercharger on 11lbs were talking some serious numbers well of course with the supporting fuel system. but as stated this is just a discussion about a possible 2v build Im sure wed all be impressed if someone actually was able to pull that kind of power out of a stock 2v. I believe its possible I believe the parts are out there Yes it would be expensive but I think who ever was to do It would have about the most popular 2v in the country. I guess im the only one that's thought about it haha. I appreciate the info and everyones opinions. maybe one day a build like this will show up in MM&FF or something of that sort.
I share your goal. I sold my 06 3V GT to lose the payments but will be buying a 2V in the next coming days/weeks as soon as I find one in my price range.

I bought every possible bolt on minus heads and electric water pump to have an n/a street car regardless of cost because I love n/a cars. My 2V will also be n/a and I will be throwing every part available at it and then maybe we can see how close I get and then go from there. I made 371 WHP on my 3V with Brenspeeds detroit rock'r NSR cam.

I absolutely could have s/c the car for less than half of what I spent. But that wasn' tmy goal. I wanted to stay n/a on stock bottom end and DD the car. so that is my goal again. Stay tuned I guess lol
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

You've said a serious sleeper and you mentioned big aggressive cams so I'm a little lost on what you want. It will not happen on a 2v without spending some serious cash. For our 4.6's Fi is the only way to go to achieve the power levels you are looking for. 400rwhp will not be a sleeper/not happen on a 2v block without some serious cash being spent. Or you could always have the tuner adjust his dyno to give a generous reading, otherwise, without Fi it will not happen.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Something else to think about - you said the most out of it N/A before boosting it. A quality N/A build will not be an optimal platform to toss a blower on it. Pick one or the other, then go for it.
Look up Brett Madson / BTM Motorsports. He did an all out N/A 4.6L 2V build and ended up at about 385rwhp. It's a very high reving set up for his auto-x '99 Roush.

If you want to look stock under the hood when it's open and make 400 hp, track down the old Roush/SVO M112 and a set of Roush/SVO heads. 98% of the people who look never see it.

Name:  Roush10.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  155.5 KB
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by LilRoush
If you want to look stock under the hood when it's open and make 400 hp, track down the old Roush/SVO M112 and a set of Roush/SVO heads. 98% of the people who look never see it.

That's SWEET! I want one
Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
That's SWEET! I want one
Thanks. People never suspect an aluminum block, forged bottom end with big heads and a blower when they glance under my hood. You can't really hear the Eaton whine until I get into the throttle a lot. I run a stock mid pipe and quiet cat back to keep the over all volume down.