4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ant Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Default Ant Problem

i got in my car today and I seemed to have an ant problem. there were a ton of ants running around my center console. Has anyone ever had this problem? What can I do to combat this there were a lot of them. Thanks!!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:56 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

stop eating in your car, get that Mcdonalds burger wrapper out of your console... lol seriously though just like ants in your house. They are obviously finding something to eat
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
El Sabor Asiático

I suggest Terro Liquid Ant Killer. I haven't had ants in my car, but they're an annual pest in my house and Terro never fails to resolve the problem within a few days.

I believe Terro is just Borax in a sugar water solution. So it's not toxic to humans or pets, but deadly to ants. The nice thing about this stuff as opposed to something like Raid is that it takes a while to take effect, so they take it back to their nest and the whole colony eats it and dies soon after. So it might be a good solution for your car, since you can get rid of the ants without ending up with a bunch of dead ants to vacuum out. Plus, it's odorless.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Ants like sugar mostly, and many foods have a lot of sugar--check under and between the seats to see what fell down in there...
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

I bought Terro today and put it on the center console by the cup holder. I came out a couple hours later and there were a ton of ants. I followed where they were coming from, The Steering Colum. Im gonna give it a couple days and clean up there this weekend. Should be loads of fun!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 PM
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

I laughed so hard at this. Do you really have an ant colony in your car or are you pulling our legs? Either way still laughing
Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Are they sugar ants or carpenter type ants?

My mother in law's car sat for about 4 or 5 months one time under some trees and when I got inside it was infested with carpenter ants. I wound up dismantling a good bit of the interior cleaning those wicked bastards out.

I'm going to get some of that Terro and give it a whirl in the house. She Who Must Be Obeyed freaked out last night when she found sugar ants in the pantry and the thought of spraying some industrial strength chemicals around my food stuffs isn't exactly singing to me.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Same thing happened to me. The car was sitting for a few months and when went out to check on it I find a whole freakin colony with eggs and all camped out under the battery. They even started to spread to the inside. I set up some bait and they were gone in a week.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

Update!!!! So I put the Terro in my car last night, looked inside this morning and I saw nothing and the Terro pack was pretty much empty. i took it for a little drive to get some lunch and not a single ant.

Now this is the question that I pose. Where the hell did all these ants go?? Can there be 100's of dead ants inside my dashboard somewhere?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM
El Sabor Asiático

Excellent! I'm glad the Terro seems to be working for you. If it did work, you shouldn't see any ants, since they would have taken the stuff to the other ants, and they would have all eaten it and died inside or near the nest. Did you ever see a trail leading outside the car? I'm just wondering if they came from outside or had actually set up camp inside your dash.

Either way, as long as they're dead I guess in your place I probably wouldn't go to a huge effort to clean them out. They won't rot, just dry up. But I wonder if you could remove some panels and go in with a vacuum attachment. I dunno, I'm lazy so I'd just leave it unless it was causing noticeable problems!

Quick Reply: Ant Problem