4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need modification advice on throttle bodies and fuel injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:09 AM
CarNoobLovingIt

Default Need modification advice on throttle bodies and fuel injectors.

This is the second mustang I have purchased, as the first one I gave to my younger brother before I enlisted. I got my hands on a 04 GT with 72K miles on her. I definitely want to do some modifications to her and have some fun. I'm very much new to the world of modifying cars but I'm learning more and more daily.

When I come back from deployment, I plan to have fun building her.
When I bought her, the previous owner had already installed a cold air intake on it, honestly I cant tell you what kind it is or what company it is, so I plan to replace it with a SR Performance intake that comes in this combo kit. I'm also looking to upgrage the exhaust system from the headers(BBK) to the H pipe(BBK) and end up with a flowmaster cat back exhaust.

I've read that upgrading the throttle body and plenum will increase the air flow thus giving you more power, however going above 70mm on a N/A engine might have a reverse effect. So with a 70mm throttle body would the stock fuel injectors be able to handle it or would I need to upgrade?

Full combo kit is found here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai...bo-9604gt.html
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

1st thing's 1st. What's your goal for the car? (1/4 mile time, fun daily driver, etc.) What's your budget for this goal? Your goal is what determines where to start with modification. If you just start throwing money at a car, you might end up taking yourself further away from what you're looking for. There are always more efficient routes to make a car quicker than others. For example, you'd notice you car accelerates faster with a set of gears, more so than with that kit you're looking at. Not that increasing airflow is pointless, just that you'd benefit more from other mods before that. I'd also advise you to do some research on what products and brand names are better than others as well. Good luck and welcome!

To answer your question about the injectors, your stock ones will work just fine with that combo kit.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

My goal is a fun everyday car. But but also a project/learning car. I don't necessarily need a 900 HP track monster but something to have fun in on the weekends and learn as I go.

What about this bama tune I've been hearing about? Is this even a legitimate modification or a waste of money?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CarNoobLovingIt
My goal is a fun everyday car. But but also a project/learning car. I don't necessarily need a 900 HP track monster but something to have fun in on the weekends and learn as I go.

What about this bama tune I've been hearing about? Is this even a legitimate modification or a waste of money?
CarNoobLovingIt,

Congrats on picking up the '04 GT! These SN95 GT's are very hardy cars, and will serve you well if you continue to take care of her!

I like your initial lists of mods. Opening up the airflow through the TB and upper intake plenum is one of the best mods for this particular engine. I think you'll find the car will bite a bit harder throughout the entire power band after installing this SR intake kit.

A Bama custom tune would be a great addition to your list of mods. In fact, I think it would be the best addition to tie all of your mods together in conjunction. Modifying any Mustang this extensively will show more significant improvements if the mods are tuned for within the factory PCM. Not to mention the engine will run smoother and cleaner (healthier) than before.

Once you purchase a Bama custom tuner, you're automatically enrolled into the Bama Free Tunes for Life program. This allows you to receive free tunes updated for any future bolt-on mods you add down the road. Even if that means a 100shot of nitrous!

Hope this info helps shed more light on your questions. Hit me up if you have any others!

Shane
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
CarNoobLovingIt,

Congrats on picking up the '04 GT! These SN95 GT's are very hardy cars, and will serve you well if you continue to take care of her!

I like your initial lists of mods. Opening up the airflow through the TB and upper intake plenum is one of the best mods for this particular engine. I think you'll find the car will bite a bit harder throughout the entire power band after installing this SR intake kit.

A Bama custom tune would be a great addition to your list of mods. In fact, I think it would be the best addition to tie all of your mods together in conjunction. Modifying any Mustang this extensively will show more significant improvements if the mods are tuned for within the factory PCM. Not to mention the engine will run smoother and cleaner (healthier) than before.

Once you purchase a Bama custom tuner, you're automatically enrolled into the Bama Free Tunes for Life program. This allows you to receive free tunes updated for any future bolt-on mods you add down the road. Even if that means a 100shot of nitrous!

Hope this info helps shed more light on your questions. Hit me up if you have any others!

Shane
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I would worry less about the intake pipe and more about the plenum and throttle body. That SR performance stuff is kinda junk and that throttle body is a professional products piece that I can tell you doesn't actually fit real nice without modification.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:43 AM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by Stevo86
I would worry less about the intake pipe and more about the plenum and throttle body. That SR performance stuff is kinda junk and that throttle body is a professional products piece that I can tell you doesn't actually fit real nice without modification.
In your opinion which intake would you choose for that TB and Plenum?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I have a K&N Pipe, it's plastic so there is less heat soak than with a metal one and no rust.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Get the gears and tuner combo instead. You'll definitely feel it a lot more compared to the intake. Also no need to change the fuel injectors for a long while. I know that the 01+ GTs got the upgraded 21lb compared to the 99-00 which only had the 19lb. Only difference was that the 01+ GTs didn't keep the same tune. If you don't already have a catback exhaust you should definitely do that first to give your car a new sound and give you that smile on your face each time you start her up. It'll help tide you over while you wait for your next mods too. I went with the 4.10 gears and tuner combo and it was definitely worth it and it was night and day in comparison to the stock rear gears and tune. After that I went with the 78mm bbk throttle body and plenum combo and the SR CAI only because the CAI was on sale and it cleaned up the engine bay quite a bit. The CAI isn't really needed since the stock intake is pretty good as it is and I only got the bigger throttle body since I plan on going FI in the future. They say that it's not necessary to go past 70mm but if you plan on going FI it doesn't hurt either to have something bigger. You'll still get the benefit of having more air but you just won't be able to fully utilize it. Hopefully my experience with their product helps you out .
Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by Stevo86
I have a K&N Pipe, it's plastic so there is less heat soak than with a metal one and no rust.
Good idea, I saw one on americanmuscle.com that caught my eye. It was about 200 dollars but I know K&N has a good reputation so it's probably worth every penny.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-cai-9604-gt.html

I was actually asking questions on that site trying to get a good comparison between the SR and the K&N. Looks like K&N it is then.

Quick Reply: Need modification advice on throttle bodies and fuel injectors.