4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need modification advice on throttle bodies and fuel injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by Subbz
Get the gears and tuner combo instead. You'll definitely feel it a lot more compared to the intake. Also no need to change the fuel injectors for a long while. I know that the 01+ GTs got the upgraded 21lb compared to the 99-00 which only had the 19lb. Only difference was that the 01+ GTs didn't keep the same tune. If you don't already have a catback exhaust you should definitely do that first to give your car a new sound and give you that smile on your face each time you start her up. It'll help tide you over while you wait for your next mods too. I went with the 4.10 gears and tuner combo and it was definitely worth it and it was night and day in comparison to the stock rear gears and tune. After that I went with the 78mm bbk throttle body and plenum combo and the SR CAI only because the CAI was on sale and it cleaned up the engine bay quite a bit. The CAI isn't really needed since the stock intake is pretty good as it is and I only got the bigger throttle body since I plan on going FI in the future. They say that it's not necessary to go past 70mm but if you plan on going FI it doesn't hurt either to have something bigger. You'll still get the benefit of having more air but you just won't be able to fully utilize it. Hopefully my experience with their product helps you out .
I'm actually planning on doing a full exhaust upgrade. From the headers all the way back. I had a 98 GT before this one that I bought from my father (trying to teach me the value of a hard earned dollar, rather than just out right giving it to me) It sounded great. Everyone commented it. Even set off some car alarms in parking garages. He claims it was just two flowmaster mufflers but I think he's getting old and forgot exactly what he did to it either way coming back from this deployment i'll have a little play money so I'm going to do it the right way.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CarNoobLovingIt
I'm actually planning on doing a full exhaust upgrade. From the headers all the way back. I had a 98 GT before this one that I bought from my father (trying to teach me the value of a hard earned dollar, rather than just out right giving it to me) It sounded great. Everyone commented it. Even set off some car alarms in parking garages. He claims it was just two flowmaster mufflers but I think he's getting old and forgot exactly what he did to it either way coming back from this deployment i'll have a little play money so I'm going to do it the right way.
Nice! If you don't have to worry about any emissions regulations definitely do long tube headers! And good luck with your build I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You will kick yourself in the butt once you buy a aftermarket CAI system. The stock CAI works just fine, as well as the stock manifold. The K&N Cai was the 1st mod I did to my car. Didn't notice any difference in performance. Took my car to a dyno day and only gained like 2 rwhp (if that). 200 bucks for 2 rwhp IMO is a complete waste of money. 2 V's do not respond well to mods. Before I went FI I had every bolt on under the sun and gained like 17 rwhp at a price of 2500 bucks (parts and labor). You can peice together a Supercharger for 1500 bucks and gain 75- 90 rwhp. Your best bet is to buy some gears and a tuner and start from there. Just my opinion tho. Good luck!

Good idea, I saw one on americanmuscle.com that caught my eye. It was about 200 dollars but I know K&N has a good reputation so it's probably worth every penny.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/kn-cai-9604-gt.html

I was actually asking questions on that site trying to get a good comparison between the SR and the K&N. Looks like K&N it is then.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
You will kick yourself in the butt once you buy a aftermarket CAI system. The stock CAI works just fine, as well as the stock manifold. The K&N Cai was the 1st mod I did to my car. Didn't notice any difference in performance. Took my car to a dyno day and only gained like 2 rwhp (if that). 200 bucks for 2 rwhp IMO is a complete waste of money. 2 V's do not respond well to mods. Before I went FI I had every bolt on under the sun and gained like 17 rwhp at a price of 2500 bucks (parts and labor). You can peice together a Supercharger for 1500 bucks and gain 75- 90 rwhp. Your best bet is to buy some gears and a tuner and start from there. Just my opinion tho. Good luck!
What he said . 200 bucks for a CAI is money that can be spent elsewhere since the gains from it is very minimal. Though ultimately it depends on your preference and where you're trying to head with your car.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Nice! If you don't have to worry about any emissions regulations definitely do long tube headers! And good luck with your build I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it!
I'll be in Texas when I get back, I don't know what their regulations are.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:38 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Will stock internals hold up with a FI kit?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 PM
CarNoobLovingIt

What he said . 200 bucks for a CAI is money that can be spent elsewhere since the gains from it is very minimal. Though ultimately it depends on your preference and where you're trying to head with your car.
Just a fun daily driver. With enough power to have fun on the weekends and beat the occasional civic that revs next to me.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Will stock internals hold up with a FI kit?
Yes it will. You'll be fine (with stock internals) at the 400 rwhp mark. Some guys I've heard went as far as 425 rwhp on stock internals and had no issues. Speaking from someone that's gone through three bottom ends I wouldn't chance it. The most important thing you will ever do when going FI is making sure you get a good tune. This Is one area that you cannot do any shortcuts. My 1st engine blew and I was only at 385 rwhp. So see without a good tune you're asking for a lot of headaches. GL
Old 02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Just a fun daily driver. With enough power to have fun on the weekends and beat the occasional civic that revs next to me.
If you just want to beat the occasional civic then you wouldn't really need much mods to do that lol.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM
BlackSunshine74

I also have the K&N cold air. Another great easy mod is a set of "hot" coil packs. Get rid of them factory 20k coils... :-)

Quick Reply: Need modification advice on throttle bodies and fuel injectors.