4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 Mustang GT Vert, where to go from here...

Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM
quilvios

Default 2001 Mustang GT Vert, where to go from here...

Good Morning!

I have a 2001 Automatic GT Convertible with 51k miles. I bought the car in July 2013.

The car came with Trick Flow Throttle body and Plenum. A K&N CAI and what I believe to be Flowmaster cat back exhaust. I do not know the size of the Trick Flow add ons.

My question is this...I have about $1000. to spend on it. Just wondering what I should do next to get the most gain out of the car. I do plan on tossing a turbo or supercharger on it down the road (couple of years)

Thanks in advance and I am sorry if this is a question that has been asked often. I am new to the forum and have been overwhelmed with the Info provided.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend full length subframe connectors and gears. If you do the work yourself you'll be under $500. The subframe connectors will help stiffen up your vert.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by quilvios
Good Morning!

I have a 2001 Automatic GT Convertible with 51k miles. I bought the car in July 2013.

The car came with Trick Flow Throttle body and Plenum. A K&N CAI and what I believe to be Flowmaster cat back exhaust. I do not know the size of the Trick Flow add ons.

My question is this...I have about $1000. to spend on it. Just wondering what I should do next to get the most gain out of the car. I do plan on tossing a turbo or supercharger on it down the road (couple of years)

Thanks in advance and I am sorry if this is a question that has been asked often. I am new to the forum and have been overwhelmed with the Info provided.

Hey,

Sounds like your Stang came nicely set up for you to start your build. The Flowmaster cat-back systems sound incredible on the 2 valves, and K and N and Trick Flow really makes a quality product as well. With the budget you have, there are several routes you could go to really upgrade your Mustang.

If you are going to put a supercharger on the car, you may want to go with a set of headers and mid pipe. Superchargers rush a lot of air quickly through the engine, however the supercharger can only push as much air in, as the engine can send out. So by going with a set of shorty or long tube headers and an aftermarket mid pipe, you can dramatically increase the effectiveness of the supercharger. Even before you put the supercharger on, the headers and mid pipe will give noticeable power and sound.

You could also do also some suspension work. Springs, shocks, and struts will make the car handle the corners impressively and give your Stang an awesome stance. Furthermore, these type of modifications will also help you maintain traction with all that extra power coming for the turbo or supercharger. If you do go with springs, remember you may need to pair them with caster camber plates and/or a pan hard bar to ensure that the tires are at the proper pitch and aligned properly.

Finally I would also recommend a set of rear end gears. These are often over looked, but can give you what will feel like an addition 50 extra horsepower. For your car with the automatic transmission and a possible supercharger or turbo in the future, I would recommend a 3.73 gear ratio. This gear will make you accelerate quicker, rev quicker, and shift quicker, but not so quick to where your future supercharger wont be able to build boost. However, if you do the gears you certainly want to get a compete installation and bearing kit, and have it professionally installed.

There is most likely more than a dozen other things you could do and still get a lot out of the car.

Remember we will always price match another site if you see any of these products cheaper elsewhere, and forum members get 6% percent off.

If you have any questions or want to look further into any options for you car let me know or give us a call. Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Gears and tuner. I like 4.10's, but do your homework - consider whatever your long term plans for the car might be and intended use.... All I can say is lots of people get 3.73 and regret not getting 4.10. Almost nobody with 4.10 stays awake at night wondering what 3.73 would have been like.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:20 AM
El Sabor Asiático

Would you recommend going up to 4.30 on an auto trans?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I would reccommend 410s and a tuner. Will be a different car for sure..
Old 02-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by El Sabor Asiático
Would you recommend going up to 4.30 on an auto trans?
Having 4.10's and a manual, if I had it to do again I'd at least consider 4.30's instead. So on an auto, yeah definitely. 3K stall convertor, J mod and shift points programmed right, an auto with 4.30's would be a beast.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:18 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

get the SCT tuner not the Diablo Sport one. I was unhappy with my Diablo Sport customer service, they are really understaffed.

4.10 gears will KILL your highway MPG if you like doing 80 on the interstate. Go 3.90 if you drive interstate a lot.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
get the SCT tuner not the Diablo Sport one. I was unhappy with my Diablo Sport customer service, they are really understaffed.

4.10 gears will KILL your highway MPG if you like doing 80 on the interstate. Go 3.90 if you drive interstate a lot.

390's to 410's are not that much of a difference when it comes to MPG. I've had 373's and went with 410's and didn't notice to much of a MPG difference.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Definitely go with the gears and tuner. That will run you about $500 and to get it installed would be another $300 if you take it to a shop which is recommended since installing gears yourself is really hard since you need to be precise with everything. There's not much else you can do for now so save the couple of hundred bucks remaining for your next big ticket item. Start making a list of all of the other supporting mods you'll need for your FI setup like injectors, fuel pump, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Mustang GT Vert, where to go from here...