4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

American Muscle WILL NOT match prices of every competitor

Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default American Muscle WILL NOT match prices of every competitor

I was trying to find a good price on an SCT SF3 tuner, and after previously posting a query on this site, I got a response from Dan Bailer saying that AM would price match other advertised prices. Sadly, that is not true. I found this unit for $295 shipped from Gary Yeoman Ford-Lincoln-Mercury and called to order and get the price match. The person I talked to (Steve) said he would have to check on it, and when he called me back he said that price was too low to match. I guess Dan should have qualified his response, and listed prices below which they would not go, if that is their policy. That really blows because I was looking forward to becoming an AM customer, and their service seems very good, but I just can't stomach them saying they would match a price and now they won't. I guess I'll just have to go with the part from GY Ford. Well, as long as it corrects my speedometer that's what I really need, but I sure was looking forward to dealing with AM for this and future purchases, but what can you do.

Link to GY Ford parts:
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/gyfordparts

Link to original thread wherein Mr. Bailer claimed the price matchhttps://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-instead.html:

Last edited by tracyballard; 03-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tracyballard
I was trying to find a good price on an SCT SF3 tuner, and after previously posting a query on this site, I got a response from Dan Bailer saying that AM would price match other advertised prices. Sadly, that is not true. I found this unit for $295 shipped from Gary Yeoman Ford-Lincoln-Mercury and called to order and get the price match. The person I talked to (Steve) said he would have to check on it, and when he called me back he said that price was too low to match. I guess Dan should have qualified his response, and listed prices below which they would not go, if that is their policy. That really blows because I was looking forward to becoming an AM customer, and their service seems very good, but I just can't stomach them saying they would match a price and now they won't. I guess I'll just have to go with the part from GY Ford. Well, as long as it corrects my speedometer that's what I really need, but I sure was looking forward to dealing with AM for this and future purchases, but what can you do.

Link to GY Ford parts:
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/gyfordparts

Link to original thread wherein Mr. Bailer claimed the price matchhttps://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-instead.html:
I'm sorry that we weren't able to price match this. We do offer price matching on all advertised reputable competitors sites. We don't price match sites like Amazon, Ebay or Bonanza etc.. It also depends on the item that we're price matching. For example, SCT tuners. They have a MAP program in action that you can not go below. If you do go below this, you will get in a lot of trouble and can be shut down. SCT is aware of this map violation and is handling it.

That being said, our hands are kind of tied in this particular instance. This isn't a common occurrence and 9 out of 10 times we will gladly price match.

We still can offer you our 6% forums exclusive discount because you're entitled to use that on all orders. That would put you right at $357. I also see that Bonanza isn't the original competitor that you listed. You mentioned RPM outlet. If they're publicly advertising this tuner at $325, they're also violating MAP and will be contacted by SCT immediately. On their site I don't see the SCT tuner for $325 like you listed. I only see $379.99. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Again, I apologize for any confusion and headache this has caused you.

-Dan
Old 03-07-2014, 01:44 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Rpmoutlet no longer has the sale on, but when I emailed them, Frank said he would still honor the $325 price with a phone order. And since Yeoman Ford is selling the item for $295, that seems like a better price match to me in my humble opinion. Dan, I guess you should have mentioned that you only match certain prices, that would have made things not seem so sketchy. I would certainly be glad to patronize AM if you honor the promise you made, but if I can't take you at your word (even if you have to sell something lower than you want to in order to keep your promise), it's hard to send you my hard earned money.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

I think the custom tunes and free tunes for life, offered by AM/Bama, is Way worth the extra price, IMO. You are getting a lot more for your money going with AM. You're not just getting the tuner...you're getting custom tunes, preloaded tunes and free tunes for life. Plus, their expertise is the mustang so you know they are professionals and they know their way around any mustang motor.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Csrt4to5.0gt
I think the custom tunes and free tunes for life, offered by AM/Bama, is Way worth the extra price, IMO. You are getting a lot more for your money going with AM. You're not just getting the tuner...you're getting custom tunes, preloaded tunes and free tunes for life. Plus, their expertise is the mustang so you know they are professionals and they know their way around any mustang motor.
good point, but Dan said in the other thread that I would get the free tunes for life and everything with the price match. Yes, it probably is worth the extra money, but if they said you can have it at price match, and then won't match the price, that's a bit irritating. BBB complaint type irritating.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Rpmoutlet no longer has the sale on, but when I emailed them, Frank said he would still honor the $325 price with a phone order. And since Yeoman Ford is selling the item for $295, that seems like a better price match to me in my humble opinion. Dan, I guess you should have mentioned that you only match certain prices, that would have made things not seem so sketchy. I would certainly be glad to patronize AM if you honor the promise you made, but if I can't take you at your word (even if you have to sell something lower than you want to in order to keep your promise), it's hard to send you my hard earned money.
good point, but Dan said in the other thread that I would get the free tunes for life and everything with the price match. Yes, it probably is worth the extra money, but if they said you can have it at price match, and then won't match the price, that's a bit irritating. BBB complaint type irritating.
I'm sorry I didn't make things clear with you. Like I said above, we'll do whatever we can to make sure our customers are happy and in good hands. Price matching is one of the many things we do to make sure our customers get the best price possible. However, it has to be a reputable advertised price and it can't violate MAP policy.

Moving forward, I'll make sure this is much more clear!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 03-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Moving forward, I'll make sure this is much more clear!

-Dan
so you made a mistake? when that happens there are 2 things you can do - either bite the bullet, honor your word, and learn a lesson, or you can make the customer suffer for your mistake. You said you would honor the price, now you say you will only honor prices from "reputable" sellers. let me guess, no one is reputable but AM? Some people would think that when you say you will do something, and don't, that's a lie. I won't go that far, since I don't think you were being deceptive when you made the promise, you just didn't know what you were talking about. So I will call that a broken promise rather than a lie. Still, if it were me in your place, I would value my integrity more highly.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
They have a MAP program in action that you can not go below. If you do go below this, you will get in a lot of trouble and can be shut down. SCT is aware of this map violation and is handling it.

That being said, our hands are kind of tied in this particular instance. This isn't a common occurrence and 9 out of 10 times we will gladly price match.

We still can offer you our 6% forums exclusive discount because you're entitled to use that on all orders. That would put you right at $357. I also see that Bonanza isn't the original competitor that you listed. You mentioned RPM outlet. If they're publicly advertising this tuner at $325, they're also violating MAP and will be contacted by SCT immediately. On their site I don't see the SCT tuner for $325 like you listed. I only see $379.99. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Again, I apologize for any confusion and headache this has caused you.

-Dan
It sounds like Dan made it perfectly clear WHY he couldn't match the price, and it's something I run into alot at the Dealership where I work.

He has two choices:

1. Apologize for the confusion and explain why he can't price match.

2. Price match the item and run the risk and probability of having SCT pull their products for violating their selling rule.

It's not even a question if integrity - I do not question Dan's at all by the way. Unfortunately price matching at the cost of losing an entire product line is not even a possibility if you want to run a business. It's a shame that you seem to fail to understand that tracyballard.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cristoff
It sounds like Dan made it perfectly clear WHY he couldn't match the price, and it's something I run into alot at the Dealership where I work.

He has two choices:

1. Apologize for the confusion and explain why he can't price match.

2. Price match the item and run the risk and probability of having SCT pull their products for violating their selling rule.

It's not even a question if integrity - I do not question Dan's at all by the way. Unfortunately price matching at the cost of losing an entire product line is not even a possibility if you want to run a business. It's a shame that you seem to fail to understand that tracyballard.
He made a promise and broke it. and you can go below the minimum price as long as you don't advertise it - you have to say "add to cart to see price" if it's below the minimum. He said he would match the price without qualifications. Yes, I agree with you that he screwed up, but if it were me, I would honor a promise I made. Integrity means doing what you say you will do and not making excuses for why you fail to keep your word. Even if I had to pay the difference out of my own pocket. That's how much my integrity is worth to me, it can vary for others.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

He made a promise and broke it. and you can go below the minimum price as long as you don't advertise it - you have to say "add to cart to see price" if it's below the minimum. He said he would match the price without qualifications. Yes, I agree with you that he screwed up, but if it were me, I would honor a promise I made. Integrity means doing what you say you will do and not making excuses for why you fail to keep your word. Even if I had to pay the difference out of my own pocket. That's how much my integrity is worth to me, it can vary for others.
So in your entire life you have never had to break a promise, or were never unable to do EXACTLY what you said you would do?

You are a better man than any man could ever hope to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American Muscle WILL NOT match prices of every competitor