4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

troubles after storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
samhain

Default troubles after storage

So this winter I put my 03 gt auto in an outside carport tent. The rear wheels were up on Jack stands. During the winter i stayed the car up once a week for about 10 to 15 min and would put the car in drive to let the wheels spin for a bit. The other day I finally took the car out and it was acting weird. While driving, if I'm sitting in a red light and let go of the brake, the car won't move forward. I have to give it gas to make it move. I tried pushing the car in neutral and it was extremely difficult. I don't hear anything rubbing like the brakes or anything. What is this?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 PM
jam23r1
1st Gear Member

change your rear end oil. gear oil go's bad if not used. and just a free spin in the drive way was not a enough to get the oil hot. and your trans oil might have gone bad too
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Problem sounds like it may be with your brakes. Check each wheel making they spin free verifying there is not a caliper hanging up. Also if you used the emergency brake, the cable may not be releasing fully.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
03gt04mach1
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, sounds like Brakes, Caliper sticking or seizing up. Being outside, even under a cover, moisture builds up if not run regularly. I would also FLUSH the brake lines.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM
samhain

I think you guys might be right about the brakes. I don't think it's the rears as the tires spun in drive while on the jack stands but the fronts never got the chance to be spun. I'm gonna Jack up the front and try to spin those by hand
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by samhain
I think you guys might be right about the brakes. I don't think it's the rears as the tires spun in drive while on the jack stands but the fronts never got the chance to be spun. I'm gonna Jack up the front and try to spin those by hand
Don't rule out the rears. The rear brakes could still be dragging. The wheels will still move in drive, as the power applied to the wheels will overcome dragging brakes.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

rear brakes are dragging. and FYI your winter storage technique is probably the worst thing you can do to your car. You are building up condensation that is NOT getting burned off park it cover it and leave it the F alone
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM
samhain

Originally Posted by BraMas
rear brakes are dragging. and FYI your winter storage technique is probably the worst thing you can do to your car. You are building up condensation that is NOT getting burned off park it cover it and leave it the F alone
Thanks for the kind words. Anyhow, why do you think it's the rears and not the fronts? Just wondering as I haven't messed with it since Monday
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

It is real easy to tell what brakes are dragging. Take it for a drive get out after a few miles and see what rim is hot as hell. This will be your dragging brake
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
samhain

Originally Posted by BraMas
It is real easy to tell what brakes are dragging. Take it for a drive get out after a few miles and see what rim is hot as hell. This will be your dragging brake
So this morning i decided to Jack the front end up and spin the front tires by hand. Sure enough, the front right is very hard to turn and the left front pretty much doesn't budge by hand. What's my next move?

Quick Reply: troubles after storage