4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Product Review - SCT SF3/X3 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Post Product Review - SCT SF3/X3 Tuner

....... Welcome to my latest review, which shall be that of the SCT SF3/X3 tuner. To start with let's check on the unit itself. It seems to be very well built, a quality part. It has a connector for the car OBD-II port, and a port where you can plug in a USB cord to your computer, and the cord was also included with the unit. Upon reading the very clear and short instruction page, I went out to my car and began the setup. It really could not have been much easier, as it just involved plugging the tuner in, and doing what it told me to do. No problem! Unless of course you don't like people or things telling you what to do. If so, you're on your own. The first thing the unit told me to do was the setup, after pushing the select (continue) button a few times, the unit set up my computer, which took about 30 seconds. Then I was ready to upload a tune. Selection of said tune was very easy, and I went with the middle tune (performance tune). Again, it took about 20-30 seconds for the tune to upload. Then I was done. It seemed too easy, so I fiddled around with the unit a while to make myself feel more useful.
....... Now, let's move on to the results. The first thing I noticed was that my speedometer no longer says I'm doing 50 in a school zone, even when I'm not, which is good. The speedometer seems to be 100% accurate now. In fact, and it may be my imagination, but I think it's actually more than 100% accurate. Another thing I noticed was that I no longer have to notice the traction control button. It's how it's supposed to be (off) all the time without me doing anything, so that's another score. Finally, if there are any folks interested in such things, the actual performance of the engine seems to be improved. Now, when I'm doing about 5-10 mph in first gear (2000 rpm or so), I can just punch the gas and it will start spinning the tires when it hits 2500-3000 RPM. That didn't happen before, it just hauled butt and I quickly shifted into 2nd to get some wheelspin. Now, when I shift to second under hard acceleration, I have to be careful not to let the rear end get out from under me, it really spins the hides good now.
....... Overall, I'm going to have to give this unit my highest score, 12 thumbs up.

Thanks for joining me for this review, and until next time, stay on the road and out of the lake.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Go **** yourself pal, no one cares about your review.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Go **** yourself pal, no one cares about your review.
Boy, you sure do stay cheeful don't ya! Thanks for reading my review and I appreciate the comments - if you have any questions just ask!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE: On the gas mileage front, if you are concerned about that, this unit has seemed to give an increase. My car was getting about 14mpg, but after the first tank on the new tune, it seems to be getting around 16mpg. So, that's better than a kick in the pants anyway. Overall, I just can't say enough good things about this tuner, and the Bama tunes that go with it. I highly recommend this product, as well as the seller, American Muscle. Until next time, peace out!