4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MY MUSTANG IS HITCHING!?!?!?!? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:28 PM
kevin_pianoman

Default MY MUSTANG IS HITCHING!?!?!?!? HELP

Hi guys. I just joined the forum. I have recently bought a 98 Mustang GT. It's a 5 speed standard. I have been having a very annoying issue with the car since I bought it. It is jerking/hitching when accelerating. Much more noticeble when under hard acceleration. If you put it to the floor it shudders quite violently. It shakes the whole car. It almost feels like if you were at a stop light and accidentally started in 3rd gear rather than 1st. Its that kind of feeling. I have changed spark plugs, fuel filter, rebuilt the rear end, and replaced the fuel pump today hoping that would fix it because the pressure was a bit low. Took it for a test drive and still hitching. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Could it be the standard trans going bad? Clutch? Please help. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:28 PM
daveyg

Did you check the plug wires and the coils?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

I would try the clutch, keep an eye on your RPM's as it happens, if they shoot up that's a good sign the clutch is going bad.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Could be coils. Thrown any codes?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 AM
kevin_pianoman

Originally Posted by daveyg
Did you check the plug wires and the coils?
Yes, I had the coils tested and they were within spec. I checked the wires. I also had the car idling and had a spray bottle of water. Sprayed it on the wires. I saw no sparkling and the car didn't die. I did buy 1 new coil yesterday just to see. I tried it on both sides and the was no change. Very violent shaking, especially in 5th gear.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 AM
kevin_pianoman

Originally Posted by jpplaw
Could be coils. Thrown any codes?
No codes have been thrown. We hooked it up twice. Both times it passed.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41 AM
kevin_pianoman

Originally Posted by Evan02
I would try the clutch, keep an eye on your RPM's as it happens, if they shoot up that's a good sign the clutch is going bad.
I took a good friend of mine for a ride lastnight and he suspects the clutch too. It feels like the jerking and kind of popping is coming from where engine and transmission connect. If you drive and soft easy and gradual the is hardly any jerking but when you step on it, it's bad. The rpms are not climbing nor is the speed. It's jerking too much to gain anything.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:07 AM
kevin_pianoman

Originally Posted by Evan02
Any more thoughts? I hate to take the transmission out and have the clutch be fine. When stepping on it hard the gear shifter moves and vibrates a lot if that helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevin_pianoman
Any more thoughts? I hate to take the transmission out and have the clutch be fine. When stepping on it hard the gear shifter moves and vibrates a lot if that helps.
Sorry, I have not a clue, if you were to drop the transmission would you be doing it yourself?

If there is a small garage by your area, you can take it to them and have them diagnose it, and then you can go and fix it yourself. I imagine the cost of a diagnoses wouldn't be too crazy.

Also, I don't know how much of a part it plays in with a 5-speed, but, my buddy used to have this old taurus with the 3.9, it sounds like it had a very similar issue, Hitching, and barely accelerating with the pedal matted. Turned out the transmission practically had no fluid, so if you havn't checked that yet it may be a good idea.

Last edited by Evan02; 04-07-2014 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Check your motor mounts and trans mounts. Yes it sounds silly but you would be surprised how much vibration those mounts absorb and if they are **** is will transfer through to the shifter

Quick Reply: MY MUSTANG IS HITCHING!?!?!?!? HELP