4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Update/ and looking for more advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Default Update/ and looking for more advice.

Hi guys, Last time I was in here I had just purchased my 2001 Mustang GT Convertible.(sold the 97). I was Asking if you thought the car might have been tunes since it was an automatic and I was getting 6300 RPMs out of it, and when it hit second gears it spun the tires (alot). Anyways, everyone told me it had to be tuned, and come to find out it was tuned with an SCT 93 Octane hand held. The car already had a Steeda exhaust w/catless H-pipe, Steeda lowering springs. It had a stock intake, I put a fenderwell intake on it and got some black GT500 18x9/10 staggered wheels for it, then I hit the track.

I have the video and timeslips of me doing 14.2........Now for the advice part. lol. The rear tires were 285's and kinda bald. I recently got some new 295's that not only LOOK better but HOOK better. I also have some STEEDA pulleys on the way that I am going to put on next week. Do you think I can shave a couple tenths off with the meetier tires and the Pulleys? Im hoping for a 13.9. Not a big stretch from the 14.2.

Also do you any of you have any experience with the bigger throttle body/plenums? Im staying naturally aspirated. Are the BBK's anygood?

Well, thanks for looking and any response will be appreciated.

~Marco
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Unreal..........almost 150 views not 1 response. I guess its a bit of a silly question but its also an update and a search for a little advice. Im seriously considering a plenum/throttle body, I just want to know if anyone has felt any difference after installing it. Also 4.10 gears were going to be put in but no one around here does it for less than $800 including parts......so that wont be happening for a little while. lol Please excuse any grammatical errors in the above posts, I AM all American, I just type in a hurry. Well, Italian American, born and raised in the USA. lol
Anything?...........
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

p.s....pics coming soon...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

As for the throttle body and plenum is concerned, most any brand will be the same. It will just come down to what you want to look at. The tires should help but 3/10's help may be asking a lot. Those wheels are heavy and soak up a lot of hp.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Smile

Thanks for chiming in brother, we'll the 14.2 was done with these wheels and balding back tires. The video shows a lot of wheel spin thru first gear. If I can grip better through first, could be good for 2/10ths, and if the Steeda pulleys are good for even 1/10th, I'm at 13.9! Lol. If I get a good deal on a throttle body/plenum, I'll jump on it. If not I'll wait and save for the gears. But I heard the automatics will shift into overdrive at the end of the 1/4 mile....a big no no for the trannys.....
Old 04-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstahoo
Hi guys, Last time I was in here I had just purchased my 2001 Mustang GT Convertible.(sold the 97). I was Asking if you thought the car might have been tunes since it was an automatic and I was getting 6300 RPMs out of it, and when it hit second gears it spun the tires (alot). Anyways, everyone told me it had to be tuned, and come to find out it was tuned with an SCT 93 Octane hand held. The car already had a Steeda exhaust w/catless H-pipe, Steeda lowering springs. It had a stock intake, I put a fenderwell intake on it and got some black GT500 18x9/10 staggered wheels for it, then I hit the track.

I have the video and timeslips of me doing 14.2........Now for the advice part. lol. The rear tires were 285's and kinda bald. I recently got some new 295's that not only LOOK better but HOOK better. I also have some STEEDA pulleys on the way that I am going to put on next week. Do you think I can shave a couple tenths off with the meetier tires and the Pulleys? Im hoping for a 13.9. Not a big stretch from the 14.2.

Also do you any of you have any experience with the bigger throttle body/plenums? Im staying naturally aspirated. Are the BBK's anygood?

Well, thanks for looking and any response will be appreciated.

~Marco

What brand tires did you buy? I would say 14.2 out of a lightly modded vert is a very good time. If you decide to go with a TB/Plenum make sure you go with a 70 MM setup. As school boy has stated just about every TB/Plenum will pretty much give you the same results. I would look on corral.net and try to find a used setup. GL!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

Thanks Soldier.....the tires are Bridgestone.....they def Hook a lot better......if I get a little from the pulleys....I may be right there. Lol. And if not, I def will with the throttle body/plenum. Thanks for the advice on the best size for the throttle body....
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

Surprised nobody has suggested getting some gears instead. No experience with larger TBs or plenums (yet), but I haven't bought them because everything I've read says that they do almost nothing for an N/A car. Apparently with TB and plenum (or spacer) you only pick up ~5-8 WHP, if that. I'm planning to try a plenum spacer first instead of dropping dough on a new plenum, though...for $25 I figure it can't hurt.

Last edited by DillonInCO; 04-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

NP. Are you running a stock clutch and STS? Any suspension upgrades?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM
mstahoo
1st Gear Member

I heard the same thing....so I may not bother with the throttle body either.....def want gears ASAP...but here in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area it's pricey...lol. The car is an automatic, the shift points have been raised to 6300 and line pressure increased so that when it hits second, it hits hard. Other than the Steeda coil springs it has Steeda CC plates and Steeda strut tower brace. Subframe connectors are there but I think they come stock on all convertibles....

Quick Reply: Update/ and looking for more advice.