4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone run into any emission issues when modding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM
FordRacerGT

Default Anyone run into any emission issues when modding?

Ive got a 2v GT with some basic bolt ons but want to take it to the next level with mods. My car previously had a vortech v2 and also was running nitrous before i bought it and I really want to build it up again. I know the supercharger alone wouldnt be an issue but i also really want to get forged internals (if the previous owner didnt already forge it?), cams, trick flow heads, and some bigger injectors. Is it possible to get to the 600rwhp mark and still be able to pass emissions? I live in NC and the emissions arent too bad down here but since my GT is an 02 it has to have the OBDII inspection which means the engine light cant be on. Anybody run into these issues when building your motor and have any advice on how to deal with it? If it is going to be too much work I might just get a terminator but my GT is special to me and I really would like to hold on to it and build it up a bit Any tips or advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:46 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

You shouldn't have a problem passing an OBD II inspection. Now if you get a hardass that follows the book to the letter, you might have an issue.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM
FordRacerGT

I have some friends that do inspections and wont have a problem with whats actually in the car, so long as i can find a way to trick the computer into not throwing an engine light. They said that their systems wont let them approve an inspection if the computer senses that the engine light is on or it throws a certain code.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

You have two options in order to eliminate the SES light. You can buy a "handheld tuner"(SCT, Diablosport, etc) and use an option to tell the computer to ignore the rear oxygen sensors. Or you can purchase some harnesses call "MIL Eliminators" which you will have to plug into your existing rear 02 harnesses.

Click here for tuners. These are SCT tuners that are branded "Bama" by American Muscle. They are still the exact same tuner. There are advantages and disadvantages to both SCT and Diablo. SCT is more widely used and much more widely supported by custom tuning shops.

Click here for MIL Eliminators. They are pretty self explanatory.

I use my handheld tuner to shut off my rear oxygen sensors. I am in NC. This works fine for the computer side of the inspection but shops will visually look for cats too in NC. Without that friend shops will still fail you if they do their job and look for cats. I have become pretty slick with talking my way into getting people to pass my car when it fails but its really annoying.

Last edited by Hangwire; 05-15-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 PM
FordRacerGT

Thats awesome, I wasnt aware that the tuners had that capability. I am sort of a newbie when it comes to tuning and that sort of thing. I have a diablo predator tune on my GT now but it came with the car and its just the automatic one, i never did any manual adjustments or calibrations. Im not really worried about the visual inspections as that wont be a problem, it was mainly the SES light and the codes i was worried about. Thanks for the replies, Im just glad we dont have CA emissions down here