Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT
Default Humming sound coming from engine

2004 mustang gt , 149k miles automatic.

Took the car in the past to mechanics for this sound. Either the sound didnt occur while I was there(always happens when you try to show someone a problem) or they just couldnt tell the problem.

The best way to describe the sound coming from the engine is a type of humming. It sounds like a low version of Chewbaca's famous growl (star wars lol).

It either lasts for a short time or sometimes can last up to 8-10 seconds. It always goes away. Usually when the sound starts, I give the car a little gas and it will go away.

This usual happens in the first minute of driving my car and I come to a stop or in general when I come to stops. (If I remember right its done it while crusing with my foot off the gas, low mph).

Is it possible this is a bad idle air control valve? It has been doing it for a while now.

All inputs are appreciated. Thanks !
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2014 Infiniti Q50 Graphite (DD)
2004 Auto Mustang GT
EaZy DuZ iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
tadpole1969
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001,ford,mustang gt

yup its possibley the iac or Chewbaca crawled in there makes sence he is in there! havent seen him since 1977 lol
tadpole1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002, Ford, Mustang GT

These type of noises are almost always something in the air intake tract. IAC valve is not a bad place to start. Does it still have the stock intake ducting?
VTX1800N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole1969 View Post
yup its possibley the iac or Chewbaca crawled in there makes sence he is in there! havent seen him since 1977 lol
No it can't be Chewbacca, he's dead...poor guy.

Nadia - 2010 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS: SLP Blackwing, K&N Air Filter, SLP Under Drive Pulley, VMax TB, OBX 1-7/8 LTs with HF Cats, OBX 3" Cat-Back, Custom Predator Tune!!
DeathRattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
EaZy DuZ iT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX1800N1 View Post
These type of noises are almost always something in the air intake tract. IAC valve is not a bad place to start. Does it still have the stock intake ducting?

The air intake tract is referring to the IAC, Plenum/TB, and intake setup right?

I put the stock intake back so yes.

I notice that on idle, if my air conditiong is on, it does it a lot. Every other 30-45 seconds. (I changed my waterbump around 12,000 miles ago).

2014 Infiniti Q50 Graphite (DD)
2004 Auto Mustang GT
EaZy DuZ iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:47 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement