Crank No Start - MustangForums.com

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Crank No Start

Old 05-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
BrightBlue00GT

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang GT
Default Crank No Start

It's been fine until this morning. Cranks over strong, but will not start. Doesn't even attempt to catch and fire up, just cranks.

PATS I think is fine: normal blinking light when OFF, steady ON for 2-3 seconds during key ON or when Cranking, then goes out.

Fuses under the hood are ok, nothing blown.

Fuses in passenger compartment, I admit I am having a hard time checking those as I'm a big guy now and can't get under there too well. I think the only two of concern under there might be #2 and #8, both Engine Controls. Others that might be of concern are all linked to multiple components that are working ok so I think I can rule them out i.e. #19 (Anti-Theft Relay, Power Door Locks) because the power door locks work and #34 (Instrument Cluster, CCRM, Data Link Connector, Securilock Transceiver Module) because the instrument cluster is working during crank.

KM BAP in-line fuse is ok, not blown.

Fuel pump shut-off 'inertia' switch in the trunk is not popped, but I pushed on it anyway... no change, it's still down.

I also admit I cannot verify a noise from the fuel pump, because the noise from my KB intercooler pump in the front wheel well is all I can hear. I am waiting for a friend to come over and help me listen for the fuel pump hum.

Fuel filter is only about 3 months old.

I am going to have it towed to the base autoshop, put it on a lift and start looking at the fuel filter and possibly fuel pump.

Any other ideas at this point?

2000 Mustang GT, 5 Spd, Bright Atlantic Blue, KB 9# T/S
BrightBlue00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
BrightBlue00GT

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang GT

I was expecting, and hoping, the fuel pump to be the problem, because then it's something I can fix rather easily.

Luckily when i arrived at the base auto hobby shop, via tow ugh, I had one of the guys rap on the tank as I cranked it and sure enough it started right up... I definitive sign it was the fuel pump.

I already had a new 255 Focus pump sitting in my parts bin (a must if you're stationed oversees with your American car) that I never swapped in for the stock, so I again lucked out having a pump.

Spent the day dropping the tank and changing the pump and started right up. Back on the road again!

Thanks all and Happy Memorial Day

2000 Mustang GT, 5 Spd, Bright Atlantic Blue, KB 9# T/S
BrightBlue00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT

Ok good! I was gonna give you some info on diagnosing a fuel pump issue but it seems you already got the fix. Good for you.

Nadia - 2010 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS: SLP Blackwing, K&N Air Filter, SLP Under Drive Pulley, VMax TB, OBX 1-7/8 LTs with HF Cats, OBX 3" Cat-Back, Custom Predator Tune!!
DeathRattle is offline   Reply With Quote