Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
CobraClone_WV

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via Yahoo to CobraClone_WV
Default Blown Plug

I have a 2002 GT and I believe I have a spark plug that blew out and I'm sure it destroyed the threads in there. I was wondering if anyone knew around about how much this will cost to fix. I don't have the time to do it myself so I'm gonna have to take it to a shop.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
CobraClone_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 lx hatch 5.0

Youll have to call around to some shops and find out if they will time-sert it. Which in my opinion is long term temporary at best. If its possible you may want to think about a new head for it.

I know some guys have luck with the serts but I have seen countless botched attempts at that repair. It has to be done correctly by someone with experience in doing it. Alot of shops wont touch it, while there are some that will attempt it , and even fewer that will know what they are doing.

Last edited by dawson1112; 06-04-2014 at 03:22 PM.
dawson1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
BlindGUYnAR
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, GT Conv

At the stealership around $450-$600.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
Z28KLR
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 GT

^ For that price, I'd take the 30 minutes it takes to install one and do it yourself.

There are generic ones at the auto parts stores, but from what I've heard Timesert is the best one. Do that and be done with it. If done properly you'll never have to worry about it again.

2001 ***** Slayer Red GT convertible; all of the usual bolt-ons.

1967 Notch; 200 I-6, C4 auto
Z28KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
BlindGUYnAR
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, GT Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28KLR View Post
^ For that price, I'd take the 30 minutes it takes to install one and do it yourself.

There are generic ones at the auto parts stores, but from what I've heard Timesert is the best one. Do that and be done with it. If done properly you'll never have to worry about it again.
Exactly. The "timesert" kit I think is around a hundred or hundred-fifty bucks, but still a huge savings. Also the stealership will use "helicoil" fix and I've heard those aren't as good as "timesert".
Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement