4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1996 GT Alarm Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
alarmtrouble

Default 1996 GT Alarm Issue

Husband and I recently got a 1996 mustang GT, 4.6l v8 that had been sitting for 3 years, "broken". The previous owners didn't really know what they were doing, and although the body could use some work (it had been rear-ended pretty hard, so everything is a little off cosmetically), we got it running in about half an hour (dead battery, bad gas). After swapping out the oil, and topping off other fluids (transmition was bone dry), it runs strong and sounds great.

They had an aftermarket stereo system in it, which they removed with a dull butter knife and the precision of a drunk toddler before we checked out the car, so there's a slew of exposed wires coming out of the stereo part of the dash we haven't dealt with yet, as we've only had the thing for a week on Saturday.

The issue we have is that, after plugging in the battery you have about 3-5 seconds to start the car or the alarm goes off, horn blaring. Also starts up if you turn the car off (turning the key into the accessory position doesn't trigger it), unless you unplug the battery beforehand. This makes it impossible to start the car with one person.

When we first picked it up we took it to autozone to have them scan it, as the check engine light came on when we drove it over, however their scan didn't turn anything up and the engine light only comes on occasionally when we have it running. We're guessing it's something to do with the anti-theft system and a messed up sensor or something? The anti-theft light blinks like crazy before starting it, then is solid while the car is running. Most of the other threads here sit to check how many times it's blinking and whatnot, to get the code, but we can't do that as the alarm comes on if we don't start it ASAP. Is there a way to disable the alarm?

I've been looking at a bunch of threads here, and it seems like issues with alarms mostly cause the car to not start at all, and I haven't seen any with our issue. Has anyone had this happen to their mustang?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:48 AM
JohnLanier

You might try this (going from memory, so this may note 100% accurate):

1. Insert key in ignition
2. RAPIDLY turn key clockwise (from 10:00 position to 2:00 position) 3-4 times
3. Listen for a 3-4 "beep" code sequence; in my case, this disabled the ATPS.

My problem was different in that I was diagnosing a key FOB issue and "accidentally" enabled the ATPS, which killed the starter and wouldn't let me start it until I did the above.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 PM
alarmtrouble

We solved this issue by buying a key FOB and reprogramming it to the car. Plugged in the battery, waited for the alarm to go off, and turned it off with the FOB.

When we got it, it just had one key sans FOB, so now everything is working great and we can start it up just fine, lock/unlock the doors and set the alarm without any issues with the FOBs. Going to program our new keys once they come in and we get them cut, so should be a pretty fun work-in-progress car to play around in soon.