4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2002 Mustang GT Crank Pulley Hitting the Timing Chain Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Mullineauxj

Angry 2002 Mustang GT Crank Pulley Hitting the Timing Chain Cover

OK, to start off this is what I have. I picked up a non-running 2002 Mustang GT with the 4.6. The guy I bought it from had the motor torn down almost too just the block. He said that it had a leaking head gasket and he tried to fix it but couldn’t get it back together. I got the car for a steal brought it home and decided to pull the motor out and rebuild it all the way. After getting it the block was stamped as being made in 2006 so that is odd but all the part numbers are the same. The timing cover was already off when I bought the car and it was completely missing the bottom half. He had broken it off while removing it. I got a replacement one that is identical. I had finally come to the point to where I could put the completely rebuilt motor in the car yesterday all I had left to do was put all the tensioners and pulleys on. I put the Crank shaft pulley on and ran into a wall.

The Problem. When putting the crank shaft pulley on it tightens down all the way against the timing cover preventing the crank from turning over. My first thought was that my pulley could be bent because it made contact in the top right corner. I ordered a new pulley from o’reillys and went to put it on today and same problem. After reading a few post I decided to pull the whole cover off and put the original timing chain crank gear back on because the new one I had was approximately .013’’ smaller after re installing everything, I am still running into the same problem the crank pulley bottoms out against the cover before it is tight so it won’t spin. Has anyone ever had this problem before? Are there different detention pulleys for different year engines?

My next thought is possibly the oil pump that I got is not name brand so the dimensions may be off causing the timing chain gear to sit farther back causing the crank pulley to not make contact before it hits the timing cover.
Any help is greatly appreciated and I am glad to be new to the sight.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Mullineauxj

I was reading someone else's post thought I should Just add I was tightening it down just to get it to seat all the way( probably using more force than the torque specs. Should I just tighten it to torque specs? If I did that I bet it wouldn't go all the way against the cover.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
8111870a
1st Gear Member

are you using the one or two piece crank gears? the trigger wheel is different if using the later one piece unit.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

To me it sounds like you didnt put the crank sensor trigger wheel on before putting the front cover back on