MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Best bet performance upgrades (http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/711557-best-bet-performance-upgrades.html)

mxgeezer 07-02-2014 07:33 PM

Best bet performance upgrades
 
Thanks in advance for any advice. I bought my first Mustang. It's a 2004 GT coupe 5 spd, 76ooo miles, already has Magnaflow Magnapack Catback exhaust and BBK cold air intake. I'll probably put a tuner in first. What should be added with a tuner? Injectors? Mine are pink(24#?) Also, what was in the anniversary package?

AMAlexLazarus 07-03-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxgeezer (Post 8405420)
Thanks in advance for any advice. I bought my first Mustang. It's a 2004 GT coupe 5 spd, 76ooo miles, already has Magnaflow Magnapack Catback exhaust and BBK cold air intake. I'll probably put a tuner in first. What should be added with a tuner? Injectors? Mine are pink(24#?) Also, what was in the anniversary package?

Good question and if you're going with a tuner I would recommend Bama's SF4/X PowerFlash Tuner as it really woke the my Bullitt up! It perked her way up! No more sluggishness getting on the highway or falling on its face downshifting. Regarding the injectors I wouldn't throw them on just yet as the OEM's are more than enough for what's on your car right now. If you were to install a set of cams or potentially supercharge it then I would recommend them but they're going to flow more than enough for you!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm here to help!

Alex

school boy 07-03-2014 09:50 PM

Best bang for your buck would be gears after the tuner. BTW nothing else is needed with the tuner.

UPRSharad 07-05-2014 03:40 PM

I would do an offroad x-pipe with the tuner.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-o...x-pipe-04.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-s...-v8-gt-96.html

mxgeezer 07-06-2014 01:01 PM

It's got a Magna Flow X pipe already, with no cats. Having those put in tomorrow. Tires and tuner in the next couple of days.

Soldier GT 07-06-2014 05:53 PM

Gears and a tuner. Want add much rwhp but it'll most def put a smile on your face!

uberstang1 07-07-2014 06:41 AM

Gears and supercharger

mxgeezer 07-08-2014 07:58 AM

I had hi-flow cats put on and a Diablo tuner. It's not much, but I can feel the difference with the tuner. I wish superchargers weren't so expensive....

uberstang1 07-08-2014 04:12 PM

Gotta pay to play

DillonInCO 07-08-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPRSharad (Post 8406233)

What's a realistic WHP gain from these for a car with only a CAI and tuner? I'm guessing that 20+ number was on a supercharged car.

Also does anyone know if there's any power benefit to running a catless x / h pipe vs. one with high flow cats?

uberstang1 07-08-2014 07:38 PM

Full bolt ons and a tuner minus longtubes on a 2v u might see 15 horse

Soldier GT 07-08-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uberstang1 (Post 8407078)
Full bolt ons and a tuner minus longtubes on a 2v u might see 15 horse

Sadly üb speaks the truth......

mxgeezer 07-09-2014 08:05 AM

I put hi flow's on mine contrary to any small HP gain because I couldn't piss off everyone, including the neighbors, like the kids who run up and down the street at all hours of the night do without them. Besides, it's hard to think straight with all that noise.

DillonInCO 07-09-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier GT (Post 8407124)
Sadly üb speaks the truth......

Wow...I knew the 2Vs don't respond to bolt-ons well, but I didn't know it was that bad. Guess I better start saving for a blower!

Catless midpipe really makes these cars that much louder? There are still two more cats upstream right? Or are the ones in the midpipe the only ones?

bluebeastsrt 07-09-2014 11:23 AM

Best bang for the buck equal gears and sticky tires. It amazes me how no body ever mentions tires. They are the most important part of any car. Kind of a rubber meets the road kinda thing???:icon_denk:

school boy 07-09-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt (Post 8407251)
Best bang for the buck equal gears and sticky tires. It amazes me how no body ever mentions tires. They are the most important part of any car. Kind of a rubber meets the road kinda thing???:icon_denk:

This man does speak the truth! Ever since I started running better quality tire, all my vehicles received them, (Nittos on the mustang, Toyos on the SRT8, and BFG's on the truck) when the time came.

kast1376 07-09-2014 12:39 PM

gears, tuner, sub frame connectors, and a short throw shifter makes the car MUCH more fun. If you want serious gains, start building your supercharger kit.

mxgeezer 07-10-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DillonInCO (Post 8407231)
Wow...I knew the 2Vs don't respond to bolt-ons well, but I didn't know it was that bad. Guess I better start saving for a blower!

Catless midpipe really makes these cars that much louder? There are still two more cats upstream right? Or are the ones in the midpipe the only ones?

Can't speak for everyone, but mine only has two. And to me it's obnoxiously loud. It resonates at certain RPM's and makes it sound like a NASCAR.

uberstang1 07-10-2014 08:24 AM

Without fi or a set oh trickflow heads , other simple bolt ons just dont make any power. Its sad but true. The best bang is the gears

sloo04 07-10-2014 05:05 PM

save your money for a vortech supercharger... your best bet youll spend 3500 on mods/installation when you can spend 6 and get a supercharger and dyno tune and come out with 100+ hp


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.