4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Painted my valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Default Painted my valve covers

First off, **** taking these valve covers on and off. I read some people say its easy, others say its hard. After my experience, passenger is easy, driver's side is a huge pain in the ars. Especially when you're trying to put in freshly painted valve covers and can't bump them on anything. Ended up removing power steering tank and bracket, fuel injectors, COPs, and loosened the brake booster and pulled it toward the fender. Oh and removing the driver's seat to get at the brake booster bolts inside. Even then, it was still a pain! Not to mention the cam tower pulling the gasket off every time. Grrrrrr!!!! (I did find over $3 in change under the carpet under the driver's seat from the previous owner though. There's a start to paying this car off!)
All and all I had about 14 hours into the install, but that included buttoning everything up and having a leak on the driver's side and redoing it. I know that seems like a lot, but I was taking my time, and like I said I basically did the driver's side twice.

Hopefully the pictures show up in the order I uploaded them. First is the valve covers painted. I used all Dupli-color engine enamel. Chrysler Hemi Orange was almost a dead on match to my competition orange. The whole point of this project was to give a nice look to the engine for my first car show! Second and third pictures are the installed covers. Don't mind the dirty engine bay. I cleaned it up all nice and good before the show. Next two pictures are of my buddy's '98 Silverado and my '04 Saleen replica at the show. Finally is me at the show! I had a few people come up and ask me about my car. It was a free show so no prizes or anything. The majority of the vehicles are classics and its draws more of an older crowd. I'd like to enter into a real show sometime with more modern cars too.

I had bought covers from a guy on craigslist so I didn't have mine off the whole time while painting them. He said they were "from an '02". Made sure they were 11 bolt like mine. Still there were a few differences between them. The oil fill neck on the '02 was taller and both connections where the breather tubes attach were different, but I was able to make everything work still.
Attached Thumbnails Painted my valve covers-100_55452.jpg.jpg   Painted my valve covers-100_5558.jpg   Painted my valve covers-100_5556.jpg   Painted my valve covers-100_5559.jpg   Painted my valve covers-100_5561.jpg  

Painted my valve covers-100_5567.jpg