Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
CarNoobLovingIt

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang Gt
Default How does a stroker kit work?

I was online last night just looking for different ideas and things for my GT. I can across a stroker kit so I started researching on Google to understand what bore and stroke is. I understand the basic concept behind bore and stroke but I'm confused in what a stroker kit does. Does it make your red line higher or or more power in the high rpm range or what? Not thinking of doing this upgrade just want a better understanding of what's going on in there.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
CarNoobLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2009, Ford, Mustang

bore is how wide the cylinder is, stroke is how far up and down the piston travels. A 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit will increase the distance the piston travels.

14" Front/Rear Brakes, Koni STR.T, Eibach Sportline Springs, Steeda HD C/C mounts, Fays2 Watt's Link, UMI 1049 Front-end Links, Steeda Billet LCA-roto/urethane, BMR LCA Reloc. Brackets, Steeda Adj. UCA, Steeda 3rd-link rotobush, SS Brake lines/DOT4, synthetic fluid swap, Stack Racing front strut brace, Roush CAI, Brenspeed 93oct tune street/track, Steeda Ultra-lite 18x9.5, Hawk HPS brake pads, A49 brake ducting
gmoran1469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #3
CarNoobLovingIt

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang Gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoran1469 View Post
bore is how wide the cylinder is, stroke is how far up and down the piston travels. A 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit will increase the distance the piston travels.
So by increasing the distance you increase the size of the engine without actually increasing the size of the engine?
CarNoobLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #4
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002, Ford, Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNoobLovingIt View Post
So by increasing the distance you increase the size of the engine without actually increasing the size of the engine?
Yes, you increase the displacement, ie the volume of each cylinder, without increasing the external dimensions of the engine. This is done by swapping in a crankshaft with longer throws (arms). This means that you have to use either a shorter rod or move the wrist pin up on the piston or both. The stroker kit increases side loads on the pistons, and this as well as the h\physical space inside the engine limit how far you can go.
VTX1800N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement