4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BUILD PROJECT - NEED FEEDBACK

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 PM
nelpoon

Exclamation BUILD PROJECT - NEED FEEDBACK

Hello everyone, I am looking to save some money this winter to buy some parts for my 2003 Mustang GT 4.6l 2 valve Single Overhead Cam Engine. I was looking at some superchargers and I think I am going to go with the Procharger Stage II Intercooled system. I am also going to upgrade the fuel rails and tune the car. Once that is all in place I am also going to swap out the stock gear ratio and put in 4.10

First I would look some opinions on the parts I am looking into getting, and if this website has been good with prices and customer service for others.

Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System (99-04 GT)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/procha...e2-9904gt.html
Mainly I would like to know if this system or the Vortech system is better for the price. I know that many people upgrade their fuel pump with this system and I plan on doing so. Lastly I want to know if this will kill the lifetime of my car (67k right now).

BBK High Flow Aluminum Fuel Rail Kit
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-fuelrail-9904.html
I want to know if this will be enough to support the injectors from the Procharger kit (39lbs/hr) or if more upgrades will be needed. I do not want to run too rich however because I plan on using an off-road X-pipe and I don't want overly stinky exhaust. I also like the look of the blue to match the Procharger.

Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-410-9904gt.html
I want to know if the 4.10 ratio is too much for a daily driver or if it isn't as bad as some people might imagine. I am upgrading the gears no matter what so if I don't go to 3.73 is 4.10 not too much over the top.

Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner
http://www.americanmuscle.com/x4-cus...er-9904gt.html
This tuner seems to have everything I want, laptop compatibility for data-logging as well as an easy to use interface so I just wanted to know if anyone else on here has used it and had good experience. I know Bama is popular among Mustang tuning. I do not care to much about the pre-made tunes because i will be getting a custom tune from a dyno expert, but if the pre-mades are good then I will get this tuner before i start the build so I can play around with it on my car.

I appreciate your time thank you
Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nelpoon
Hello everyone, I am looking to save some money this winter to buy some parts for my 2003 Mustang GT 4.6l 2 valve Single Overhead Cam Engine. I was looking at some superchargers and I think I am going to go with the Procharger Stage II Intercooled system. I am also going to upgrade the fuel rails and tune the car. Once that is all in place I am also going to swap out the stock gear ratio and put in 4.10

First I would look some opinions on the parts I am looking into getting, and if this website has been good with prices and customer service for others.

Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger System (99-04 GT)
http://www.americanmuscle.com/procha...e2-9904gt.html
Mainly I would like to know if this system or the Vortech system is better for the price. I know that many people upgrade their fuel pump with this system and I plan on doing so. Lastly I want to know if this will kill the lifetime of my car (67k right now).

BBK High Flow Aluminum Fuel Rail Kit
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-fuelrail-9904.html
I want to know if this will be enough to support the injectors from the Procharger kit (39lbs/hr) or if more upgrades will be needed. I do not want to run too rich however because I plan on using an off-road X-pipe and I don't want overly stinky exhaust. I also like the look of the blue to match the Procharger.

Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-410-9904gt.html
I want to know if the 4.10 ratio is too much for a daily driver or if it isn't as bad as some people might imagine. I am upgrading the gears no matter what so if I don't go to 3.73 is 4.10 not too much over the top.

Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner
http://www.americanmuscle.com/x4-cus...er-9904gt.html
This tuner seems to have everything I want, laptop compatibility for data-logging as well as an easy to use interface so I just wanted to know if anyone else on here has used it and had good experience. I know Bama is popular among Mustang tuning. I do not care to much about the pre-made tunes because i will be getting a custom tune from a dyno expert, but if the pre-mades are good then I will get this tuner before i start the build so I can play around with it on my car.

I appreciate your time thank you
This sounds like a great mod list! A supercharged 2V is the ultimate Mustang. They're extremely fun to drive and will make plenty of power! Definitely be careful with it.

I would recommend going with a taller gear than 4.10's if you're going to Supercharge your Mustang. 4.10's are a really steep gear for blower cars. Every time you build full boost you'll have to shift. Something like a 3.55 or even 3.73 would be the best option in my opinion.

I have 3.73's in my Supercharged 2011 GT and it's a little much. I'm going down to a 3.31!

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can be of any assistance at all!

-Dan
Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
nelpoon

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
This sounds like a great mod list! A supercharged 2V is the ultimate Mustang. They're extremely fun to drive and will make plenty of power! Definitely be careful with it.

I would recommend going with a taller gear than 4.10's if you're going to Supercharge your Mustang. 4.10's are a really steep gear for blower cars. Every time you build full boost you'll have to shift. Something like a 3.55 or even 3.73 would be the best option in my opinion.

I have 3.73's in my Supercharged 2011 GT and it's a little much. I'm going down to a 3.31!

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can be of any assistance at all!

-Dan
Yeah the gears were the only thing i found questionable about it and after research I've found that the 4.10 is great off the line, but if it is not an automatic than it will be a big pain so I think I may look into the 3.73
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I'd stay with the 4.10's since you're doing a centri blower. They will make up for the lack of power that a centri produces at lower rpm's.

I just got an X4 from AM and am having issues with it. The 91R tune is about what I expected it to be, but there are some bugs I am experiencing (which I won't muddy up these waters with) and am currently working with AM/Bama and SCT directly to resolve. I have no doubt that I'll be happy with the device and Bama's tuning once everything gets sorted out. Keep in mind though that this will not tune your engine for f/i, you will need an actual dyno tune for that.

And your stock fuel rails will be fine for what you're trying to do. Concentrate on the squirters and fuel pump.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 PM
nelpoon

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I'd stay with the 4.10's since you're doing a centri blower. They will make up for the lack of power that a centri produces at lower rpm's.

I just got an X4 from AM and am having issues with it. The 91R tune is about what I expected it to be, but there are some bugs I am experiencing (which I won't muddy up these waters with) and am currently working with AM/Bama and SCT directly to resolve. I have no doubt that I'll be happy with the device and Bama's tuning once everything gets sorted out. Keep in mind though that this will not tune your engine for f/i, you will need an actual dyno tune for that.

And your stock fuel rails will be fine for what you're trying to do. Concentrate on the squirters and fuel pump.
Allright that is something I didn't consider with the supercharger and gearing, and I plan on talking to my local dyno tuner for what programmer i should get for the build because they will be dealing with about 90% of the tuning and I will just be using it to watch my pressures and temperatures and such.
Thanks for the help!