4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help Passing Emissions....

Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default Need Help Passing Emissions....

Hello everyone,

Is anyone familiar with how long it takes that computer to recycle in my 02 GT? Unfortunately, it had been sitting since last Thanksgiving up until a little over a week ago. I've put over 400 miles on it (mostly highway) over the ast seven days, and I have put two fresh tanks of 93 in it; one of which had this "Guarrantreed to Pass Emissions Test" formula in it. Low and behold I have failed my emissions test TWICE NOW! I have passed my emissions test three times with the same setup previously. I have not made any changes at all. The only difference is that this car has been sitting for about 8mths unfortunately....

While it was sitting I kept it on a battery tender and I had a full tank of fuel in the car fuel stabilizer as well. The car seems to be running fine to me. I am not seeing any codes and have no issues driving the car. I just can't seem to pass this stupid test. A friend of mine said I should unhook my battery, re-hook it, and then continue driving it. Any help and advice will be appreciated. I can email anyone pics of the emissions slip showing the test information. I thought I could attach it here, but looks like I need a URL. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All depends on why the car is failing really. Why is it failing?

How are they doing the test, Tailpipe sniffer, dyno, or OBDII computer, or all of the above?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Hey Derf,

I can send you pics of my emissions sheet if you want. Just pm me your email address. It's saying the monitor is not reading the cats or O2's. Thing is, they have been off the car for 11yrs and I have passed with the same setup three times already. A buddy of mine has the monitor portion showing "READY" where as mine reads what I stated above and he is also running no cats same as me. They are doing and OBDII computer test.

Originally Posted by Derf00
All depends on why the car is failing really. Why is it failing?

How are they doing the test, Tailpipe sniffer, dyno, or OBDII computer, or all of the above?

Last edited by GSXRIntensity; 08-28-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM
CalBoy101
1st Gear Member

If the car still mostly has 8 month old fuel in it I'd dump that fuel or drive it until the tank is empty and put fresh regular in it for the test. Even with a stabilizer the alcohol content in the fuel likely absorbed some water and I think there are other fuel components that break down over time also.

When you get fresh fuel in it get on the freeway and do some spirited driving to try to get any built up carbon deposits out of the engine and hopefully to get some cleaning action on the injectors from the higher flow at WOT.

Make sure the car is warmed up well (freeway is good) prior to the test. If they let it sit to long, start it up to keep it warmed up before the test.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GSXRIntensity
Hey Derf,

I can send you pics of my emissions sheet if you want. Just pm me your email address. It's saying the monitor is not reading the cats or O2's. Thing is, they have been off the car for 11yrs and I have passed with the same setup three times already. A buddy of mine has the monitor portion showing "READY" where as mine reads what I stated above and he is also running no cats same as me. They are doing and OBDII computer test.
That's your problem. If you don't have cats you're not going to pass the visual inspection. Plus if you took off that cats and used a tuner to shut off the sensors it will show up as "not ready" on your emissions sheet. That too will fail you.

If you have your stock mid pipe throw it back on just for emissions.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by Evan02
That's your problem. If you don't have cats you're not going to pass the visual inspection. Plus if you took off that cats and used a tuner to shut off the sensors it will show up as "not ready" on your emissions sheet. That too will fail you.

If you have your stock mid pipe throw it back on just for emissions.
I've had that stuff off for 11yrs now and have passed 4 emissions tests with my car exactly the same [read: no cats or O2's]. I've made zero changes to my car since '06. My car's slip has always read "READY" under the MONITORS section of the emissions test slip, but this time it is reading that it can't find my cats or O2's. I want to know why and how to fix it. Again... I have passed before with my car this exact same way. I have changed nothing. Why is it now reading differently?

Last edited by GSXRIntensity; 08-30-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Are you taking it to the same place to get testing? Are you using MILs? Laws are getting stricter depending where you live
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Those monitors they use to read the emission stuff in the car are always getting new and improved software updated to them, its possible the newer software is programed to look at other parameters besides a ready code.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:13 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Evan02
Are you taking it to the same place to get testing? Are you using MILs? Laws are getting stricter depending where you live
Yes, I am taking it to the same place and yes I am using MIL's. I have a theory though, so and I plan to see how it goes on Wed or Thursday. Stay tuned....
Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 PM
stillahotrodder

I have a 2001 Mustang GT with a Magna flow exhaust system.The "service engine soon" light came on because of the after market catalytic converters.I had a garage shut the light off and I drove the car about 90 miles and it passed inspection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help Passing Emissions....