4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 mustang gt coupe gear change

Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 PM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I am assuming you have an auto trans?

Who did the tune for you? Its kinda common for a canned performance tune to raise shift points in your automatic transmission. That's how performance modes are on modern cars that have a sport button on the shifter. That's the way performance tunes work. The idea is that at lower speeds it keeps your rpms in the optimal power band range. This enables you to rapidly accelerate with the maximum amount of power from a low speed take off. The down side of this is that your trans remains in first gear longer than normal when your driving it in normal traffic.

My moms Saab does the same thing when sport mode is selected. Below 30mph the trans refuses to shift out of 1st , but it makes accelerating much more exhilarating.

Obviously with a tune that is preprogrammed there will be slight variations from car to car, that is why most guys get a custom tune done at the dyno.
Ah ok i see! yeah i installed the preloaded tune my self after i set the axle ratio to 3.73 and set gas octane then applyed it and installed it , will sct rigth a custom tune for me that i can install my self
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

No to get a custom tune you need to take it to someplace they can put it on a dyno and monitor real time sensor data.

Your starting into a relm of unknown for me, I wish I knew more about the tuners but unfortunately I don't. Maybe you could call who ever you got the tune from and see what they tell you.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

No to get a custom tune you need to take it to someplace they can put it on a dyno and monitor real time sensor data.

Your starting into a relm of unknown for me, I wish I knew more about the tuners but unfortunately I don't. Maybe you could call who ever you got the tune from and see what they tell you.
yeah me to bro lost as can be lol , i think im going to take it to dyno shop tommorow to let them figure it out for me or maybe get sct to write the tune for me cause tuner is very simple to use and i know how to upload the files to the tuner so i can install them ,so im guessing all it takes is a person savy with computers and devices, which im very good at, i was reading a thread some where , where it says you can data log and save the log and send it to0 tune writer (sct)to edit it for you

Last edited by tadpole1969; 09-11-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

i spoke to a dyno tuner jeff at my local Reeves RPM Performance shop, he said he could edit the preloaded tune for me and tune car for 250.00 which is not a bad price or he can just correct speedo for 150.00 , so next week some time ill take it to them and get the pony tuned
Old 09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
01S2Roush

I just remembered there was a SCT 5500B chip in the glove box when I bought the car, I've never used it and it's been in my garage for years. I have no idea what parameters are on it, should I plug it in and see what happens? Is that safe? I've used a handheld before to upload a custom tune but with a chip it stays plugged in to use it and the car goes back to stock tune when it is unplugged? I'm thinking maybe the previous owner used the chip to adjust the speedo and therefore I could correct it that way.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01S2Roush
I just remembered there was a SCT 5500B chip in the glove box when I bought the car, I've never used it and it's been in my garage for years. I have no idea what parameters are on it, should I plug it in and see what happens? Is that safe? I've used a handheld before to upload a custom tune but with a chip it stays plugged in to use it and the car goes back to stock tune when it is unplugged? I'm thinking maybe the previous owner used the chip to adjust the speedo and therefore I could correct it that way.
I would be wary of just plugging a chip in with out knowing what is flashed on it. It could create a lean condition, or over advance the timing , you just never know what it was used for.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 AM
01S2Roush

I would be wary of just plugging a chip in with out knowing what is flashed on it. It could create a lean condition, or over advance the timing , you just never know what it was used for.
Definitely, that's why I've left it alone all these years. The only mods on my car (performance-wise) are a BBK throttle body and maybe a gear swap which I'll check when I jack it up and do the wheel spin test posted here (thanks!) If I plug it in and it runs worse will it go back to normal when I unplug it or can I do harm? Being that it came with the car I'm so tempted to try it out being that the previous owner obviously used it lol
Old 09-15-2014, 06:22 PM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

the more i drive with the 3.73 gear, the more i like it so far! will be takeing it to dyno shop in the morning to get a costume tune put on it . the 3.27 gear that was in it was to high of a gear for it! it worked its self to death in slow atlanta ga traffic, now all is well other than the speedo being off
Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

well got the pony back with a dyno tune on it now and i love it! the dyno tuner got my shift points awesome now and can feel a difference for sure just gotta run out this half a tank of 87 octane, then im going with 93 octane fuel with this tune ! dyno tech said it would make real difference running 93, another thing he said ,when i told him i migth put some msd coils on it he said you will not get any better than the oem coils and to also stay away from accell coils if i do go with after market coils
Old 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Just stick with OEM motor craft coils, they are extremely reliable. The after market coils tend to fail often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 mustang gt coupe gear change