4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Control Arms for Street and Limited Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 04:12 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Default Control Arms for Street and Limited Track

I'm looking to follow up with some more suspension mods. Currently have H&R Springs with Tokico Blues all the way around. I'm planning on welding in Maximum Motorsports FLSFCs. I'm also wanting to add upper/lower control arms. With the addition of the arms, I will be fully perimeter welding the torque boxes and adding a reinforcement kit.

The control arms I am currently considering the the following from UPR:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...e-bushing.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...trol-arms.html

As a side note, at this time I want to retain my sway bar as this is mainly a street car. I guess background info on the use of the car is that it is just a for-fun car. It is not a daily driver. It has not been to the track yet, although I would like to take it. I don't plan to make it a heavy use track car (maybe once or twice a year). I also don't plan on making it a corner carver. I'm looking for a car that handles well (not corner carver amazing, but well) on the street and can handle the strip. I'm willing to give up a little ride quality in order to get that and I know I can expect some more noise with these--that's fine.

With all that being said, think these arms will fit the bill? I am pleasantly surprised with the price as well. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

It comes down to how much NVH is going to bother you, my car is a street car that sees moderate track time, but ALOT of street time. I run spherical control arms on the street, NVH doesn't bother me much so its tolerable, if your one of those guys that dont like hearing noises or squeaks well, stick with something with a rubber or derlin bushing. (poly tends to make a creaking noise)
Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Uber, I was hoping I'd hear from you. Do you have sphericals on both ends?
Normally I'd say yes, NVH bothers me, but the only kind I've had up until this point is from things that aren't supposed to be making noise! So if I know that its coming from the control arms, it won't bother me really. Plus I plan to trying out an o/r H around the same time, so that might drown some of it out...
Old 10-09-2014, 12:35 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

my uppers are spherical on both ends, the lowers have 1 sherical bushing and the axle end is just a steel sleeve.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Those are good arms for the street. They balance the performance benefit of race arms with the ride quality of street arms. (also, they're Made in America and carry a Lifetime Guarantee)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I have those same lowers and love them. My axle bind is a thing of the past! I also have had no issues whatsoever with NVH but my LM1s are pretty loud so I probably wouldnt hear it anyways.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Perfect, that's what I like to hear.

May be a stupid question, but...

On the uppers, the ball part of the heim joint has ends such that it would fill up the entire area of the torque box where the bolt runs through. The lowers don't have that extra bit as part of the actual joint. Do the lowers come with "spacers" to put on each side of the joint to fill that gap?

I apologize if that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

On a side note: By upgrading LCA I'll be able to take the quad shocks off right? I know they are there to help with wheel hop from the flexible stock arms, and with stiffer arms they should eliminate wheel hop enough by themselves. My question is, what's the point of taking them off? Is it solely for weight reduction? I can't imagine they weigh THAT much. Is the weight reduction worth the added strain on the new bushings? Am I over thinking this? lol

Last edited by unitedwestang; 10-14-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Yes, the lowers come with aluminum spacers which center the heims in the torque boxes. And yes, you can ditch the quad shocks when you install these.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I would recomend getting spherical bushings for the rear housing as well
Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

You're a mind reader Uber. I was thinking about those. Bind would be virtually non-existent, I would think. But, by essentially having a "solid" connection between chassis and axle, what's the expected life span of the spherical bushings?

Quick Reply: Control Arms for Street and Limited Track