4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 Cobra with head tick.... should I trade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:35 PM
bbrando021

Default 2003 Cobra with head tick.... should I trade?

Hello,

I am looking at a 2003 cobra with 11k miles. He says he has taken it to Ford and they have said it was the head tick. He is asking 18k for it. He would trade for my car that is worth about 15k plus 3k cash. What is your opinion on this? Is it worth it? How expensive would it be to fix?

Link: 2003 Ford Cobra
Link to the video of the ticking: Tick Video

Let me know what you think of the video too.

I know I have seen some similar cobras with similar mileage for sale at about 25k. What realistically would the car be worth once it is fixed and assuming everything else about it is clean?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:04 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Well book is $17k-$18k. Cobras seem to hold their value better than book suggests from what I've seen. If he's offering for trade + $3k, maybe try to talk him down on the cash?

I'm not extremely familiar on the value of Cobras. A head tick with only 11k miles seems odd to me though. If it were only a head tick, head tick being very general--like what exactly in the head is causing the tick as it can make a big difference on the labor required, why is he selling it for $8k less than what it could be sold for with a fixed head (going off your numbers)? For that much you could get TFS heads with cams installed and still have money left over.

I don't know, I don't like to play the guessing game of what's my car worth over book value. You're "guaranteed" around book value if you sell it in good condition. Obviously a ticking head isn't good condition. He's asking book for it. You're call. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on Cobra value can chime in instead of me just spouting off the obvious...

Edit: From Dan04COBRA on the SVT section:
"Even early DOHC Cobra's have the head tick. There was a design flaw with the heads, the coolant wouldn't flow properly and the valve guides would wear and make an annoying tick/rattle noise.I was told by SVT that is it NOT a catastrophic problem. There are no known engine failures where the valve broke and damaged the engine. Many people have had the tick and coincidental failures at pistons #7&8 though.

You can purchase the new 2005 redesigned head from Ford pre-loaded, the passenger side head is around 850 and the driver side head is around 650 complete to the best of my knowledge."

Of course that's from back in 2007. I was unaware of the Cobra head tick. I'll withdraw from this conversation as I'm probably doing more harm than good

Last edited by unitedwestang; 10-17-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
bbrando021

Yes I am trying to talk him down. He started at 4k.

And yes I understand It would probably sell over book value. But since it has that problem, I am trying to make the value in good condition 18. I would prefer to add maybe 1k to 1.5k but he is persistent at 3k.

Does anyone recommend or know someone that has driven with the tick and not gotten it replaced? How did that end up?
Old 10-17-2014, 02:28 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
Well book is $17k-$18k. Cobras seem to hold their value better than book suggests from what I've seen. If he's offering for trade + $3k, maybe try to talk him down on the cash?

I'm not extremely familiar on the value of Cobras. A head tick with only 11k miles seems odd to me though. If it were only a head tick, head tick being very general--like what exactly in the head is causing the tick as it can make a big difference on the labor required, why is he selling it for $8k less than what it could be sold for with a fixed head (going off your numbers)? For that much you could get TFS heads with cams installed and still have money left over.

I don't know, I don't like to play the guessing game of what's my car worth over book value. You're "guaranteed" around book value if you sell it in good condition. Obviously a ticking head isn't good condition. He's asking book for it. You're call. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on Cobra value can chime in instead of me just spouting off the obvious...

Edit: From Dan04COBRA on the SVT section:
"Even early DOHC Cobra's have the head tick. There was a design flaw with the heads, the coolant wouldn't flow properly and the valve guides would wear and make an annoying tick/rattle noise.I was told by SVT that is it NOT a catastrophic problem. There are no known engine failures where the valve broke and damaged the engine. Many people have had the tick and coincidental failures at pistons #7&8 though.

You can purchase the new 2005 redesigned head from Ford pre-loaded, the passenger side head is around 850 and the driver side head is around 650 complete to the best of my knowledge."

Of course that's from back in 2007. I was unaware of the Cobra head tick. I'll withdraw from this conversation as I'm probably doing more harm than good
I don't think you would want to replace a 4 valve head with a 2 valve, even the TFS design isn't going to be up to the flow numbers of the stock Ford 4 valve, besides all the other parts you would have to replace to make it work.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:29 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Like I said, more harm than good

I'm stuck in my 2 valve world where TFS heads are God's gift to the world of Mustang...

Last edited by unitedwestang; 10-17-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:43 PM
bbrando021

Any other opinions?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

I would never pay 18 grand for a 10 year old vehicle with an engine problem. We're all assuming that the tick is the typical issue, who knows 11k miles is plenty of miles to over rev it and destroy something else. Could be a follower, lash adjuster, wrist pin etc. There are plenty of things that can cause a "tick" all of which require the engine coming apart.

If you are dead set on a the car I'd offer him a straight trade. I don't see 18 grand there. People over pay for these cars all the time because it's a "terminator". Personally I'm sick of hearing about them. They were cool cars back in the day but now it seems like everyone has one. They're kind of losing that charm they used to carry.

I've got more money into my GT than what I would have spent on a terminator and I feel like now I'm the odd ball out for driving a GT. I also love the fact that my car is kind of a sleeper of sorts. People never expect a GT to be fast.