4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

97 Mustang Gt Questions...(Loose steering issues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Your tires aren't going to cause that issue, I have had 275/40/17's on all 4 corners before without issue. You might take a look at the U joint under the dash, see if there is something wrong with it.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 PM
B40dash8

I checked all the joints on the shaft and nothing looks like it has play. The car feels terrible when it drives over grooves in the road. Just took the car to work today and it feels terrible. Its not fun to drive and doesn't feel secure It would feel better if the steering was tighter.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B40dash8
I checked all the joints on the shaft and nothing looks like it has play. The car feels terrible when it drives over grooves in the road. Just took the car to work today and it feels terrible. Its not fun to drive and doesn't feel secure It would feel better if the steering was tighter.
I'd suggest taking it to a different shop for an alignment check. What you are describing sounds a lot like the front wheels being toed out slightly. That will give you a very unstable wandering feeling and make the car dangerous to control.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup
Old 12-06-2014, 06:36 PM
B40dash8

Yeah I changed the struts in the front and took it to get aligned. I did take one plate off of the top of the strut tower. I marked it and put it back on. I doubt I put it exactly back where it came from. When I was at the shop I said aren't you going to check the toe and the guy said it was good.

But yes indeed it does wander all over the road still and has like I said extremely loose steering.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 PM
B40dash8

Hello... Update on the situation. I got another alignment and new front tires. Its better now but still tramlines and wanders on uneven road surfaces. The steering is also still very sensitive and light. It feels like its over power assisted. I use the expression I can steer by blowing on the steering wheel. That's how sensitive it feels. That's a little dramatic but you get the idea. Stupid question..Would the hydraboost have anything to do with the steering pressure? Whats the odds of pulling the stock rack and pinion out then replacing it with a "so called rebuilt rack that a mechanic said was rebuilt" and the steering feeling exactly the same as the one I pulled out as far as sensitivity. As far as the steering shaft..Buying a $300 solid shaft is a expensive option in eliminating the problem. When I look at the shaft it doesn't seem like there is any play in it. The tires move when the shaft moves. There is very little movement that moves when the wheels don't moved but again its very little. It has to be the shaft or bad reman rack. Any suggestions from you mustang guys?

Last edited by B40dash8; 01-22-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

All that I can contribute is that when you've changed about everything,you're totally focused on one area being the problem,it may help to step back,and look for looseness elsewhere in the car,such as the rear suspension.
I'm also assuming the obvious which hasn't been mentioned thus far.Adequate tire pressure in all of them.

Last edited by Camster; 01-24-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:14 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Do you still have the stock springs? Lowering can cause bump steer issues.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 PM
B40dash8

yes Still have the stock springs...

I dont think anything in the rear will make the steering loose....
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
B40dash8

Originally Posted by B40dash8
yes Still have the stock springs...

I dont think anything in the rear will make the steering loose....
Do springs wear out? I cant be the only person with a sn95 very stang that feels like a boat on water when driving lol
Old 02-14-2015, 09:48 AM
caseystutz

Default tow does not cause your wheel to return to staight ahead during a turn caster caster.

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Have someone turn the wheel and watch the rag joint. If there is slop in there youll spot it right away. But its not something that readily wears out on them.

If the alignment is way off though it can make the car feel really unsafe. Even if you did set the toe in and got it driving in a straight line, that doesn't mean it is correct. Will it pull itself into a straight line when you turn the wheels then let go? If not its a good indication that the toe is way way off. Id take it to an alignment shop if there is a major problem they will find it.
you should take it into a alignment shop and get it checked out.

Quick Reply: 97 Mustang Gt Questions...(Loose steering issues)