4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rebuild with forged internals vs. rebuild with stock internals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Benalbright24

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Well, sort of. The stock pistons are hypereutectic, which just means that they are a high silicone content cast piston. The high silicon content has two benefits and one major draw back. The benefits are that it has high scuff resistance and low thermal expansion. This allows manufacturers to set the piston to wall clearance very tight and the piston will take very little wear over a long service life. The major detractor is that the silicon is never evenly distributed through the piston. High concentrations of silicon through the piston make it brittle, and any engine detonation often results in the piston shattering. This sends shards of metal through the engine, quickly destroying everything else.

A forged piston has much lower silicon content and a much more even grain structure because of the forging process. This makes it much stronger. The trade off is that the low silicon content means greater thermal expansion. Thus, the piston to wall clearance must be greater, especially when cold. This results in some piston noise on cold start and you should not drive the engine hard until it reaches operating temperature. However, that doesn't mean you can't drive it at all until it warms up. I've also never heard of the requirement to wait till a warm forged engine cools before restarting it.

The scuff resistance is also less, so the pistons will not last as long, although coatings can mitigate this.

However, forged pistons do not shatter like hypereutectic pistons under detonation. Their ring lands are also much stronger, thus forged pistons can handle much higher power levels.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup
Thank you for clearing that up. As far as not running the car hard until it is warmed up, I do that anyway with my motor now so that isn't an issue. When you say that forged pistons don't last as long does that mean it is unlikely to get say 100,000 miles out of them given that there hasn't been tons of boost ran on the motor or been abused?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:38 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

No, with proper maintenance and oil change intervals/quality, you should have no problem getting 100K out of a forged engine. Try to get pistons with a coating on the thrust faces (Manley and most other quality manufacturers will have this) as that mitigates the wear.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Benalbright24

No, with proper maintenance and oil change intervals/quality, you should have no problem getting 100K out of a forged engine. Try to get pistons with a coating on the thrust faces (Manley and most other quality manufacturers will have this) as that mitigates the wear.
Are the parts I was quoted for good quality? Sealed Power forged pistons and Eagle forged h beam rods? I am going to reuse my stock crank.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey Soldier, I was looking at your page with your build details. It looks like you are running forged 11 cc pistons at .030 over on stock 42cc heads? Do you know for sure what compression ratio you have, and how much pressure are you able to run with the blower on what octane? I ask because my son's 2002 GT is getting 11cc .020 over forged Manley pistons as we are deciding on 38cc (11.75:1 if the calculator I used is correct) or 44cc (10.67:1) TFS heads. Down the road, he may want to supercharge it. The 38cc heads would rule that out, but it may be possible to go with a low PSI 44cc combo.
Hey man not sure about the compression ratio. Did have a issue with the engine. I'm currently in the process of getting it pulled and will be replacing it with a new MMR 900 block. Your sons car is gonna be a beast. When will you guys have her finished?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man not sure about the compression ratio. Did have a issue with the engine. I'm currently in the process of getting it pulled and will be replacing it with a new MMR 900 block. Your sons car is gonna be a beast. When will you guys have her finished?
It's going to be a bit yet. He's still earning money and buying parts week after week. We have everything for the short block here and the BBK long tubes and H-pipe are on the way. The next big purchase is cylinder heads. He wants the TFS heads and has decided to do the whole kit at once rather than wait for spring to upgrade cams. The kit from MHS is $3650. That includes degreed cams, billet cam gears, lifters, rockers, the whole deal. He will need to work for a month, maybe 5 weeks, to pay for that. That will also require 39# injectors, a FRPP 90mm MAF, and a tune. Those three add another $1K to the cost. Just the other day I learned that someone had replaced the stock Ford intake plenum with a Dorman part. To get a FRPP intake will be $200 minimum. If he opts for something better, we are around $900- another week's work for him.

On the plus side, I went on Trick Flow's website and they have a build that is nearly identical to what he will have. It made 408HP! I think his compression ratio will be slightly higher with the .020 over bore compared to that build, so there is no doubt he will have plenty of ponies.

I also got him a used steering wheel pulled from a 2003 Cobra. It arrived the other day and looks brand new. The leather wheel in his car is worn down to the metal at the top after 143K miles. This is his birthday present (he turns 20 at the end of the month). I ordered a tool from Amazon to pull the wheel and it will be here next Friday. Now I have to decide if I want to install it and show him or wrap it up and let him install it later.

I just did a compression calculator with updated info specific to the deck height, head gasket bore diameter, and compressed head gasket height. I got ~10.49:1 with the 44cc heads, which should allow for a low pressure supercharger later on.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Benalbright24
Are the parts I was quoted for good quality? Sealed Power forged pistons and Eagle forged h beam rods? I am going to reuse my stock crank.
Sealed Power and Eagle are both well known performance brands. I've heard some debate as to whether Eagle are Chinese parts, but then what isn't these days?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Benalbright24

Sealed Power and Eagle are both well known performance brands. I've heard some debate as to whether Eagle are Chinese parts, but then what isn't these days?
So you believe those parts would make for a good strong short block? If I'm spending all that money I don't want to get cheaply made parts that won't be reliable.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 AM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

They will certainly be stronger than the originals. You would have to ask the seller what power level they are good for and then figure out what your power goals are. The absolute upper limit for the stock cast crank is 600HP.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Benalbright24
So you believe those parts would make for a good strong short block? If I'm spending all that money I don't want to get cheaply made parts that won't be reliable.
Hey man i went the route of building a short block and as stated earlier had issues. After three days the block had major detonation. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with the route that I am going with now and just buy a new forged shortblock already built. I would suggest MMR. Those guys have excellent customer service and an excellent warranty. I bought my 900 for 2800 bucks shipped to my door. The price may seem kinda steep but once you start buying the internals for your block, machine work, installation of the block etc, you'll looking at close to 2 grand if not more. Also MMR has layaway so that's also a perk.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Benalbright24

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey man i went the route of building a short block and as stated earlier had issues. After three days the block had major detonation. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with the route that I am going with now and just buy a new forged shortblock already built. I would suggest MMR. Those guys have excellent customer service and an excellent warranty. I bought my 900 for 2800 bucks shipped to my door. The price may seem kinda steep but once you start buying the internals for your block, machine work, installation of the block etc, you'll looking at close to 2 grand if not more. Also MMR has layaway so that's also a perk.
What else would I need to buy if I got the MMR 600? I don't see me needing anything more than the 600. I appreciate all the advice I've been given in this thread.

Quick Reply: Rebuild with forged internals vs. rebuild with stock internals?