4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Shifter Story

Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Default Shifter Story

So I finally got my mgw shifter installed! It truly is as good as they say.

Prior to purchasing it however I had thought my "stock" shifter wasn't all that bad. But I read about how amazing it was compared to stock, so I thought if stock is pretty decent this thing must be amazing. So I ordered the mgw for my tr3650. I opted for the race handle.

Upon installing today I found I had had a steeda tri-ax all along! Kinda mad at myself for not checking previously I installed the mgw anyway to compare. And let me tell you, I'm sticking with the mgw.

For the comparison.
To me the mgw feels worlds smoother. I had missed third on several occasions with the tri-ax. The mgw finds third so easy. While in gear you could shake the tri-ax handle and it would wiggle around a bit. This movement is not present with the mgw. It is stiff in gear. A personal preference for the mgw is that it's position is adjustable. As I previously stated, I opted for the race handle. It is shaped differently than the other two handles they offer and I like it. It brings my Mach shift ball into my hand better and I can grab it almost like a t handle. Having chosen the race handle I had worries if it would require excessive effort to shift. Now I don't know why I ever worried. The mgw is so smooth it glides into gear with little effort even with the race handle.

The tri-ax had been set on it lowest setting for shortest throw. I don't know what the percent reduction it is supposed to have in that setting but to me the mgw with the race handle feels shorter and it is supposed to have a 35% reduction I believe. Of course that can easily vary based on how you mount the handle and the right angle piece.

The mgw did come with what looks to be a sheet of insulating foam for sound deadening purposes. I did install it and even with it the mgw is a bit louder than the tri-ax.

All and all of I had the choice between the two from the beginning, I would recommend the mgw. That being said, I now have a tri-ax for sale in the classifieds lol.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah man the MGW's most def the way to go. What other mods do you have? Also what part of MO are you from?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:58 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Ya it's super nice.

I've got hooker lts, Flowmaster catback, o/r h, 3.73s, tokico blues shocks and struts, and h&r lowering springs. And my car is a Saleen clone.

I'm about an hour south of St Louis.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Post some pics man!
Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Will do! I'll go snag some today sometime. Haven't had the chance to take any real glamour shots yet though. ..
Old 12-29-2014, 12:25 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Don't mind how dirty they are. I'm usually a freak about keeping them clean, but I've been so busy lately...

Anyways, sorry for taking so long to get them up. Just took the pictures this morning, hence the frost.

As far as the MGW shifter being louder, I think I'm going to make a metal plate to add in. I just stenciled the metal plate/boot from the Steeda on to some cardboard then I'll get dimensions for a hole to clear the shifter. I think that in conjunction with the insulation foam from MGW should help with the noise. I'll report back when I actually get it done.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:24 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Of all the mods, I have never heard anyone say they regret the MGW. Pretty amazing considering.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:30 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Made a plate today. I just outlined the boot/plate from the steeda one and cut it out of 16 gauge steel. I put weather strip along the perimeter on the back side to help seal it a

bit. It ended up fitting pretty well. It just took a little fiddlin to get it in place. I then put the foam that came with the mgw back on top. I will report back next time I drive to let you know of it helped reduce transmission noise.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:03 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Went for a test drive this morning. The plate definitely helps! Obviously it doesn't block all the noise but I would say it is now easily just as quite if not slightly more quite than the steeda unit.

Not too bad of a project to help cut down transmission noise. . .
Old 01-01-2015, 03:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Tri ax shifter is the worst, been saying it for years

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Story