4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch swap first timer, my experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:17 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch swap first timer, my experience.

I'm currently in the process of doing a clutch replacement on my 2001 GT. I'm also putting some mac long tube headers.
I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. And it's going to be quite a journey.
Currently I have the car on jack stands. A jack on the center.of the rear axle for safety. The mid pipe is out, starter is out (that 3rd bolt was a bitch). The transmission is mostly unbolted and supported by 2 jacks.

Today im going to loosen the motor mounts and tilt the transmission and engine so I can get the top 2 bolts.... I think that's the hard part so far.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm always impressed to see people jump in to take car of their car. You'll learn some new things and you'll love your car more when you are the one to take car of it.
Replacing a clutch is not that hard, make sure you inspect and replace everything needed when it's apart. If you have a pilot bearing, make sure it's replaced. I'd recommend a new throw out bearing. Check the flywheel for cracks and burns, resurface or replace if needed, check the linkage and cable or hydrolics. Make sure you have the right alignment tool for the clutch disk. Do not get grease on the new clutch or flywheel. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

What clutch are you going with?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I love to work on my car. I got into it by buying the Hanes manual for a 1994 ranger I had. Ended up doing so much to that truck. Now I have the shop manual or Hanes for every vehicle I buy.
I went with the exedy Mach 350 stage 1 for the clutch kit. I will be replacing the pilot bearing and tob.
I bought a new stock flywheel since it's an 01 with 150k miles I figure it's due for a new flywheel.
Over all the car is in perfect condition, so I'm slowly upgrading as funds allow.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I also have the mac o/r H pipe and cat back exhaust to go with the headers. I just figure while I'm under the car and have the transmission out, I might as well get the headers done. Since there will be a little more room to work
Old 01-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I finally got the transmission unbolted. And I'm working it out and off the car. I am having trouble getting it all the way off.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

So currently, transmission is finally out of the car. I left 1 top bolt slightly threaded apparently. That came out easy after that. Got the clutch and flywheel off no problem.
Borowed a slide hammer with pilot bearing puller attachment from the local autoparts store and that came out easy.

Now the new flywheel is bolted on, aND torqued down to spec, the new pilot bearing went in smooth and easy.

BUUUUUT I'm a dumbass and ordered the wrong exedy clutch kit. I got the one for the 86-mid 01. I needed the late 01 model.
So now I am deciding... order a new one or get one at the parts store....

In rhe meantime I'm going to start pulling the exhaust manifolds. Off.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Well in the mean time, did you use some Loctite on the flywheel bolts? It sucks when one of those backs out.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I hate be to bearer of bad news, but the majority of the time you have to take the passenger LT (longtubes) off if you want to remove the transmission. The correct way to install LTs on these cars is to drop the K-member. If you manage to actually get those headers in there somehow with the trans out, the trans will most likely not go back in. Also, take the throwout bearing that comes with the clutch kits and toss is out. Go to Ford and get a factory one... they are about 55$
Old 01-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice! I ordered the Ford TOB with the clutch kit I have coming.
I was not going to pull the K member down, but I guess in light of this news I am going to pull that down as well.
I was in sort of a bind since my truck was having issues, but I resolved that and I can take more time on the car.
But as I wait for my new clutch kit to arrive, it wont be an issue to take the exhaust manifolds off the car, and also take the steering shaft out also correct? at least use the extra room while I have it. Then bolt the transmission back on the car assembling the headers and such.

Quick Reply: clutch swap first timer, my experience.