4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch swap first timer, my experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:32 PM
98snakehorse

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
I hate be to bearer of bad news, but the majority of the time you have to take the passenger LT (longtubes) off if you want to remove the transmission. The correct way to install LTs on these cars is to drop the K-member. If you manage to actually get those headers in there somehow with the trans out, the trans will most likely not go back in. Also, take the throwout bearing that comes with the clutch kits and toss is out. Go to Ford and get a factory one... they are about 55$
I had hooker lt's on my 00gt and was able to remove and install my trans just fine. Took a bit more finessing but did not require removal. Hope it works out for the opp.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

A trick I learned while doing my clutch was to buy a couple of bolts that match the size and thread pitch of the bell housing bolts that are about 6 inches long, then cut the heads off and then grind to flat spots on the bolts by where you just cut the heads off. When you are putting the tranny back in screw those bolts into two of the mounting holes. As you slide the tranny back on those bolts work as extra long dowels so that all the bolt holes will line up. Once you get a couple of the bolts in just use an adjustable wrench to unscrew those two bolts and screw the tranny bolts right back in.

Also look at the clutch alignment tool as you pull it out and match the input shaft as best you can to so you are not trying to fight the alignment as you slide the tranny back on.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Awesome tips. Thanks!
As it stands right now, I have the flywheel on (with lock tight on the bolts), the new clutch and tob came in, I will put those on tomorrow morning. Also change the tob.
Then I'm going to drop the k member and pull the exhaust manifolds off.
Then bolt the transmission back in. Put the headers on, then start putting everything else back together.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 01-17-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

A little update.
I got the new clutch and tob installed. Still have the transmission on the jack.
I unbolted the motor mounts. And began looking to drop the k member. But after looking at it, I will have a hell of a time trying to get that back in place by myself. So I jacked the engine up on the passenger side and I had enough clearence to get the exhaust manifold unbolted.
I'm going to finish removing the manifolds tonight. Then I will put the transmission back in. Then I will bolt up the new headers.
This is a bit more of a project than I anticipated with 1 person. Ha! But you live and learn.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Make sure you hang that motor before you try to drop the K-member (if you decide you have to). And I'd definitely put the trans back in before installing the headers. Good luck

Heres a few pics I snapped when I did LTs in my old Cobra. Did a clutch before, put trans back in, then dropped K (look at the room now lol)

Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Sweet. Thanks for the pics. I like to see I'm not too far off track.
I'm on jack stands about 14 inches up so working under the car is kind of a bitch.
I left the transmission out so I had room to get the exhaust manifolds out. But I was going to leave it out until I was done putting in the headers. So yall just saved me a lot of work and a bunch of f bombs. Hahaha.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Also, if u do drop the K....go out and buy some motor mounts... there is always a broken one lol
Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Another update. I am now dropping the k member. There is no way j will get the tubes in without destroying them with the k member in place.
I am going slow here. I'm way beyond any previous mechanic work I have done. But I'm getting an education.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

So currently I have gotten the transmission bolted back into the car.
It is a biotch to get everything lined up. There is a bracket on the top of the transmission that apparently holds the cables in place that kept slidin GN down between the bellhousing and motor. So I couldn't get the transmission flush against the engine. After I figured that out I got it bolted back in. I went to harbor freight and bought a transmission jack and im glad I did. There is no way I would have don't this without that.
This morning I'm putting my shifter back in. And then bracing the engine, dropping the rest of the k member. Should have done that to begin with.

On a side note, I bought O2 harness extension cables from stang mods but apparently they are not the right ones. The guides on the sides of the sensors don't match the guides on the cars connectors. Anyone run into this problem before?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:04 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Sandmanbjj
So currently I have gotten the transmission bolted back into the car.
It is a biotch to get everything lined up. There is a bracket on the top of the transmission that apparently holds the cables in place that kept slidin GN down between the bellhousing and motor. So I couldn't get the transmission flush against the engine. After I figured that out I got it bolted back in. I went to harbor freight and bought a transmission jack and im glad I did. There is no way I would have don't this without that.
This morning I'm putting my shifter back in. And then bracing the engine, dropping the rest of the k member. Should have done that to begin with.

On a side note, I bought O2 harness extension cables from stang mods but apparently they are not the right ones. The guides on the sides of the sensors don't match the guides on the cars connectors. Anyone run into this problem before?

the little plastic tabs on the connector itself? just take a razor blade and slice the little nibs off, no big deal.. keep me update bro

Quick Reply: clutch swap first timer, my experience.