4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible oil pump/sensor problem?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default Possible oil pump/sensor problem?

A strange thing happened to me the other day after my 2nd run at the drag strip. I look down at my oil gauge and the damn thing is buried to the left side! Odd thing is when it happened I was at idle and as soon as I gave it some gas it shot back up into the middle like normal until the engine started to idle again and then it went back down. Odd. I raced it again and everything was fine but that problem still persisted. When I went home I noticed when I was in 5th gear cruising the meter went down again which is really odd. I have a video of what happened and maybe someone can help me figure out what in the world is going on. I took it to Ford the day after and they cleaned off the sensor and changed the oil but the problem still persisted. Anyone know what might be wrong? Video below of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n853...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Since that is a dummy gauge which just comes on at a certain psi, go and get a true oil pressure gauge and see what the actual pressures are.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Since that is a dummy gauge which just comes on at a certain psi, go and get a true oil pressure gauge and see what the actual pressures are.
I was told by the mechanic that because it dropped down so fast that it was unlikely something wrong with the oil pump. What else could it possibly be?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Could just be a bad sending unit, that's the first thing i would look at assuming you have checked the oil level and you haven't heard any engine noise
Old 02-11-2015, 06:35 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

First off, the oil pressure gauge is like a light switch. It reads zero at the gauge until oil pressure reaches a certain psi. At this psi the gauge reads normal and stays there as long as the pressure stays at or above that psi mark. You could try replacing the sender first.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem when I first got my car. They replaced the sending unit twice and it didn't help. It's something about the cluster. I had the cluster replaced and now it pins all the way to the right.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evan02
I had the same problem when I first got my car. They replaced the sending unit twice and it didn't help. It's something about the cluster. I had the cluster replaced and now it pins all the way to the right.
You replaced the entire cluster or only that one gauge?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
You replaced the entire cluster or only that one gauge?
The entire cluster. That was also a hassle because the keys had to be reprogrammed. And since the dealership I bought it at is a smaller independent dealership they weren't able to correct the mileage.

It would probably would have been a better a idea to run an oil line to a mechanical gauge from the get go.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evan02
The entire cluster. That was also a hassle because the keys had to be reprogrammed. And since the dealership I bought it at is a smaller independent dealership they weren't able to correct the mileage.

It would probably would have been a better a idea to run an oil line to a mechanical gauge from the get go.
How much did that cost?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
How much did that cost?
The cluster I got on Ebay for 20$. As for the getting keys re-programmed I have no idea. I had literally just bought the car from the dealership and the warranty covered it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible oil pump/sensor problem?