4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cut my springs & now I'm shredding tires

Old 03-01-2015, 07:13 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default Cut my springs & now I'm shredding tires

OK. So in a moment of monumental stupidity I cut one coil out of my stock GT springs, front and rear. The tires had always worn straight and true up until then.

I did it about 6 months ago and had a brand new set of tires. The alignment showed that the toe was dead nuts on but the camber was a few degrees out but it seemed to track straight so I let it slide.

400.00 worth of front tires later, here I sit with some seriously bald tires, (outside, passenger side more than drivers side)

So here's where I'm at. I'd like to have more low than the factory GT but can't afford tires every six months so I suppose I need a set of caster / camber plates to give the the adjustment that isn't available from the factory.

Does anybody have any recommendations about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from?

Or....just shooting from the hip here, since I have the aluminum Mark VIII motor in place of the iron sohc original, should I be using the alignment specs for say, a 2003 Mach I instead? Hell, for that matter are they even different?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I been looking into suspension for a while now. Plan on a bunch of changes. K member, coil overs, A arms, caster camber plates.
I don't have personal experience with any c/c plates yet but there is a real good thread on suspension and pretty much everything you need to know about it. They recommend different brands and such. Its
https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/553765-the-official-suspension-guide.html
Probably will answer your questions.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 03-02-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Personally, I have QA1 four bolt cc plates and they have done their job nicely. Theyre heavy and well made. I do suggest maximum motorsports also, seen and helped install these and liked them. Most four bolt cc plates will do the job but I would stay away from three bolt cc plates. They will work but have heard stories of them moving around. Again it was hear-say but for a few bucks more you can have peace of mind.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:53 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
OK. So in a moment of monumental stupidity I cut one coil out of my stock GT springs, front and rear. The tires had always worn straight and true up until then.

I did it about 6 months ago and had a brand new set of tires. The alignment showed that the toe was dead nuts on but the camber was a few degrees out but it seemed to track straight so I let it slide.

400.00 worth of front tires later, here I sit with some seriously bald tires, (outside, passenger side more than drivers side)

So here's where I'm at. I'd like to have more low than the factory GT but can't afford tires every six months so I suppose I need a set of caster / camber plates to give the the adjustment that isn't available from the factory.

Does anybody have any recommendations about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from?

Or....just shooting from the hip here, since I have the aluminum Mark VIII motor in place of the iron sohc original, should I be using the alignment specs for say, a 2003 Mach I instead? Hell, for that matter are they even different?

Thanks guys.
I'm suspicious about the uneven wear if your previous alignment was done correctly. However, these are the caster camber plates I'd recommend:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...es-4-bolt.html
Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Thanks for the input, guys.

So, UPR, has it been your experience that these should not be needed if my alignment were done correctly?

Because, truth be told, the alignment shop I had been using since 1982 closed up and I have been using, well I don't want to say the name of the franchise so I'll just call it, "Iretay Ingdomkay" which hasn't instilled a great deal of confidence in me.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Well, if you only cut one coil all the way around, that would only drop the car about an inch, if that. And whatever additional wear it would cause, if any, would be on the inside, not the outside of tires. So I'm pretty suspicious of the alignment.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Duly noted. Thank you.