4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:32 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Finally got everything installed this past week. After taking some quick measurements, I definitely need to make some adjustments. I came up with an antisquat value of like 240% using the program on Baseline's website, so there's that....

Here the are subframe connectors installed. I went back and painted over all the welds.

I ended up taking the axle out and the tailpipes to give me more room to work, especially when drilling holes for the torque box reinforcements. Some of the stock rubber bushings had seen better days.

Next I got all the torque box reinforcements installed and welded some of the seams of the torque boxes.

Here's all the new control arms installed on the axle. Looks pretty sweet. The instructions with the Max. Motorsports control arms said they use special close tolerance solid bushings that take 100-200 miles to break in, and I believe it. I couldn't even move the lowers to install them and instead had to maneuver the entire axle to get the lowers to line up in the torque box.

Since the lower torque box reinforcements cover up the old hole where the abs sensor wire goes through, I came up with this solution. I cut off the old boot and drilled a 3/4" hole, which is how big of a hole is required for the connector to go through. Where the old boot was I wrapped with weatherstripping. I then placed two 3/4" o-rings spaced the thickness of that area apart and put heat shrink tubing around it. After putting a little dish soap on the outside I was able to slide it through the hole I drilled. I think it should make a decent water proof seal.

Finally, got some Nitto NT05s to slap on.

Last edited by unitedwestang; 05-31-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:45 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Very nice on the upgrades! With that rear suspension and those sticky tires, you will see a big difference. Drag racing, auto-x, or just spirited driving?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Very nice on the upgrades! With that rear suspension and those sticky tires, you will see a big difference. Drag racing, auto-x, or just spirited driving?
Thank you very much! Currently its mainly just spirited driving, but I have every intention of hitting the drag strip once I get it set up right. I'm a drag strip virgin at the moment, so I'm a little nervous. I've watched a lot, just never actually participated at the track. And since the nearest track is 1.5 hours away, its hard to make it up there sometimes...

I'll definitely make my first trip there on one of those open track nights where anybody can take their grandma's Lincoln town car and race it or something.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

If the open track night there is the same as the test and tune night here, you will be able to dail that car in as long as the place isn't packed. I run the nt05's and believe you will love them on both the track and strip. Should dead hook on a nice prepped track. post a time slip when you get a chance!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Very nice man! You'll gonna love those Nittos. What track are you planning on going too?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:34 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Very nice man! You'll gonna love those Nittos. What track are you planning on going too?
Thanks! I was probably going to go up to Gateway Motorsports just east of STL. That's the nearest 1/4 mile I know of. There is a new 1/8 mile track about 40 mins. from me in Bonne Terre I think.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Finally got up to the strip Saturday night up at Gateway Motorsports Park for Midnight Madness. I got four passes in throughout the night, each one getting a little better. I could never get a good reaction time because they were using the damned pro-style tree where all the ambers light up at once followed by the green. Being my first time it was hard to watch those fast lights and focus on trying to launch without bogging or spinning.

Regardless, I did a little better on each pass. I went up with a buddy of mine who has a '13 GT/CS, it was also his first time at at the strip. Ended up lining up with him twice (beat me both times). Other two times I was lined up with a '96/'97 GT and a Duramax. I was able to beat both of them by about .5 sec.

My best run of the night:
R/T: .516 (sadly this was my best reaction time)
60': 2.134
330: 6.045
1/8: 9.289
MPH: 77.56
1000: 12.019
1/4: 14.336
MPH: 101.74

I was hoping to get into the 13s and with more practice I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility. What do you guys think?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Da** good times especially for your 1st time. You need to come on down here and go with me to the Rogersville track! What's next on your mod list?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:02 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Da** good times especially for your 1st time. You need to come on down here and go with me to the Rogersville track! What's next on your mod list?
You know I'm not too sure. After finishing this new rear setup was about as far out as I had planned my near future mods after rebuilding the car.

Long term goals are F/I and cams. I've been eyeing the kenne bell 2.1L, but haven't done too much research in that area yet. I guess right now I don't any immediate mod plans. I'm gonna need to be saving for a while to furnish my new place and get a gas sipper commuter.

Last edited by unitedwestang; 06-29-2015 at 08:06 PM.