4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What's the benefit to removing quad shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Default What's the benefit to removing quad shocks?

I know people often remove the quad shocks after upgrading lcas, but I was just wondering what the benefit was? Weight reduction because they're not needed? Do they cause minor unwanted restriction to axle movement? Just curious.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Yup, you lose about 10 lbs and they are also a minor player in the binding issues these rearends suffer. Read the "Official Suspension Guide" sticky over in the suspension subforum here, it's explained in more depth there.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Yup, you lose about 10 lbs and they are also a minor player in the binding issues these rearends suffer. Read the "Official Suspension Guide" sticky over in the suspension subforum here, it's explained in more depth there.
^^^ this, plus you gain a little tire clearance.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

I have read Jazzer's thread and I don't remember him really talking about the quad shocks creating bind. I know by nature, the four link has bind issues. I remember that much from it. I could stand to go back and re-read it though.

Good to know its primarily for weight savings and tire clearance though
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

LOL @ this thread. I just ordered new Bilstein Quads for my GT. I found out the hard way that I don't have quads installed. Previous owner removed them and I had no idea until I did my first launch. Scared the shat out of me.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Read this:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...debate.778532/
Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Well I don't have stock control arms. I have Max Motorsports Extreme Duty lcas.

Quite honestly, looking at the geometry of the quads, I don't really understand how they help wheel hop in the first place. They are practically horizontal when the car is on the ground. That and they really aren't very stiff. I think I would have to agree with part of the article and say wheel hop is related more to other components.

Don't know why my signature doesn't show up when I post from my phone, but there's a post above I made from my laptop which has all my rear suspension mods listed. Based off everything I've read, I could probably remove them and be just fine.

Last edited by unitedwestang; 07-17-2015 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

^ Yes you can pull them. If it makes you feel any better I have a slightly lesser lca than you (MM "HD") and experience absolutely zero issue after depositing the quads in a landfill. Or leave them if you want; I observed no difference as a result of removing them; they remained on the car for a few years after new lca installation and I finally just took them off one day out of boredom. As far as them conflicting with tires that's I think more of a Foxbody thing or of course an issue of too much backspacing, any of the wheel/tire combo's that are set up specifically for '99-'04s shouldn't have any rubbing issues as far as the quads are concerned.

Obviously with the stock control arms it's a different issue and the answer would be to leave them in place pending an lca upgrade.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Quad shocks are 100% unnecessary if you have aftermarket control arms. No ill effects suffered from removing them.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 AM
JonnyBlazeGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Quad shocks are 100% unnecessary if you have aftermarket control arms. No ill effects suffered from removing them.
That may be in your case, but I've read many instances of just the opposite from others with aftermarket control arms.

Quick Reply: What's the benefit to removing quad shocks?